Return to Baseball Leftovers

help with 1st round pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:06 pm

If it were me, I'd probably go for a 1/2 combo like RJ/Pedro, but if you're set on a hitter, I'd take Helton. Although I should point out that guys like Jimmy Rollins are also very valuable in your format - because of the triples. If you get one guy with a bunch of triples, you get 10 points, easy.

(I'm not suggesting Rollins for this first pick. I'm just saying that he'll be very valuable.)
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:12 pm

With your league setup I'd take RJ then on the swing I'd take one of the hitters you listed that are left.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:29 pm

one quick question, why is my league so biased towards dominant sp's? also, thank you to the guy who gave the advice that rollins is valuable.

this is kind of off topic, but thanks to all you guys, a portion of my draft strategy has come from what i've read on these boards. i hold you guys up with all the other rankings and stuff. thanks again.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

i would get rj with the first pick......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:44 pm

tuff_gong wrote:one quick question, why is my league so biased towards dominant sp's? also, thank you to the guy who gave the advice that rollins is valuable.

this is kind of off topic, but thanks to all you guys, a portion of my draft strategy has come from what i've read on these boards. i hold you guys up with all the other rankings and stuff. thanks again.

A common strategy is to not take any pitchers until the 5th or 6th round and then you just try and send more pitchers to the mound than anybody else. You might lose in WHIP and era, but you'll win in wins, k's, and saves.

With your format, you can get negative points for pitchers. Hits allowed, earned runs, etc. So the prenominate strategy won't work. Because in addition to finishing in the middle of the pack in era/whip, you'll also lose in 3 more categories.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers