Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Griffey Jr.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:57 am

homerunhitter wrote:
How about this....

Imagine yourself putting your heart and soul in to something, only to come up short due to restraints not under your power. Imagine dedicating your life to something, and not being able to accomplish what you know you are able to accomplish because something is holding you back. Think about rehabbing yourself back from injury after injury after injury after injury, only to face another one and have to start the process all over.

Then imagine doing this, all while under enormous pressure/insult from the fans that are supposed to support you. Imagine being booed as you are carried off the field after giving 110% chasing a fly ball, despite your injury prone body.

I have a feeling you would be a little POed at times too, and I don't blame him one bit. He is a class act, there's no other way to put it. Look at the responses in this thread, then think about your own thoughts towards him.

The reason Griff keeps getting hurt is because of his poor work ethic in the off-season. Sure he's been busting his ass trying to catch-up, but when he was younger he was lazy. He relied on his natural abilities, thinking they would last forever. Now he's paying the price.

Don't let the steriod allegations, make Griffey seem like Mr. Nice Guy. He's as arrogant and ego-maniacal as they come.

A friend of mine went to highschool with Griffey's wife, and he claims that Griffey used to beat her. How's that for a class act?

So I take it you know Griffey? Oh wait, you don't, that's right. You have absolutely no idea what his work ethic was "when he was younger".

Obviously the guy had a boat load of talent, but for you to say that he didn't have to work to get it is just crazy. You don't think Ken Griffey Sr. pushed him every single day to do the best he possibly could? That's a little stubborn not to think that.

And regarding his wife....he's one of the few sports stars that come to mind that his wife (and son) still attend many games. Why would she still be with him for so long if he was abusive? Call me crazy for not believing "your friend, who went to school with his wife" but that seems too much like a rumor to me.

Wow, now I know what wrveres feels like.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:03 am

Dislike of Griffey is what this is all about. His talent in his prime is not in question. His character is. You want to idolize someone for being a great player while being an a**hole that is fine. I personally like my heroes humble and talented, not arrogant a**es and talented.

Griffey keeps whining about EVERYTHING and anything. He wanted to go to Cincy not Boston or NY or Atlanta. That is his perrogative but he is hardly in a position to complain about them either not being the Yankees or the Braves or the fans not liking him because he is not producing. The fans are supposed to say, yeah Griffey you got hurt so we will give you a pass...you took a discount to come and stink it up for us, so it is OK...we still like you even though you blow...you work out hard but do not help us win anything, but that is OK. I assume the fans in Cincy want to win too.

All Griffey has ever done is whine. If you like his character, that is your right. No one disputes his talents in his prime. They dislike the man's character as many disliked Albert Belle's and still dilslike great players like Pedros' and Bonds'.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:08 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Dislike of Griffey is what this is all about. His talent in his prime is not in question. His character is. You want to idolize someone for being a great player while being an a**hole that is fine. I personally like my heroes humble and talented, not arrogant a**es and talented.

Griffey keeps whining about EVERYTHING and anything. He wanted to go to Cincy not Boston or NY or Atlanta. That is his perrogative but he is hardly in a position to complain about them either not being the Yankees or the Braves or the fans not liking him because he is not producing. The fans are supposed to say, yeah Griffey you got hurt so we will give you a pass...you took a discount to come and stink it up for us, so it is OK...we still like you even though you blow...you work out hard but do not help us win anything, but that is OK. I assume the fans in Cincy want to win too.

All Griffey has ever done is whine. If you like his character, that is your right. No one disputes his talents in his prime. They dislike the man's character as many disliked Albert Belle's and still dilslike great players like Pedros' and Bonds'.

Until you come up with some true evidence of his supposedly poor character, this is a completely pointless conversation. He has done nothing to deserve the way you think about him, but if you think that he has then that's your right as well. However, I'm not going to waste any more of my time defending him to someone who is obviously already dead-set against him and not willing to change.

I don't wish his injuries on anyone, but I would like to see how you react under such circumstances. I know for a fact I would not have the courage/perseverance to continuously attempt coming back numerous times, I would have retired 1-2 injuries ago.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby biju » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:00 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Hmmm....I truly hope this thread is deep in sarcasm because if it isn't????????

What are you talking about? You are the only person that I've ever met that doesn't actually respect Griffey. No offense, but you're the one in the wrong here, unless, of course, you provide some evidence as to why you don't like him.

Oh please. The king of the whiners. How about:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0506/1378859.html

Where he complains about the fans msitreating him and makes a great whining comment about never having whined.

...Or the time he called up Woodward dduring a game to complain about Safeco field...or the general whining he fostered while in Seattle:

http://www.purebaseball.com/viewpoint/viewpoint0208.asp

And if I cared to spend mor ethan 5 monute son this, I am sure the internet is full of whining Griffey quotes.

Ok, usually I would simply sit back and let everyone else shoot back and forth but I do want to make some points here.

First, did you read the whole espn column? When people are taking shots at your family and telling them to "go back to Seattle" I say anything is fair game. I mean, here we are doing a similar thing with you and you're getting defensive too. Does this mean that you don't have character as well? I would say this is difficult to judge from an "outside" point of view.

That other article was titled "Mike Bravard's Viewpoint" which basically means opinion. This isn't news. But hell, if that's the case you're going to make then you have about 20 "articles" about how Griffey is a good guy just within this thread.

I've lived in Seattle for 25 years and I always liked Griffey. He seemed to be a good guy and was pretty quiet when A-Rod started stealing all of the media attention, even though Griffey was still the star of the team.

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't have hard feelings about the way that ended, but then again I guess I feel ten times more jilted by that soulless Rodriguez who DID actually leave Seattle for more money and then whined about winning to get traded.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LumberJack5 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:55 pm

Griffey has grown up alot since his days in Seattle. I remember last year around this time ESPN had him on "Sunday Conversation" he seemed very humble and really just thankful to still be able to play. He seemed like he really enjoyed having kids and being a father. I think Jr. has pretty strong character, you can tell that he fells like he has lef Cincinati down and that he really wants to earn his money not just take while sitting on the DL. I really hope he can have 1 more full season.

Yanks you said you liked your heros "humble and talented". Who are your heros? Im just wondering.
LumberJack5
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers