Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:09 pm
by grammysboy
George_Foreman wrote:

i dunno. maybe he'll end up in Kansas City.


Yeah, right...next thing you know, Cornbread will be saying he's going to Detroit and they'll be using him as protection for Omar Infante! :-B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:15 pm
by Registered_Guest
So the Rangers are out of the Delgado sweepstakes??

Was hoping they'd sign him so they'd have a #1 starter in the rotation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:22 pm
by Cornbread Maxwell
grammysboy wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:

i dunno. maybe he'll end up in Kansas City.


Yeah, right...next thing you know, Cornbread will be saying he's going to Detroit and they'll be using him as protection for Omar Infante! :-B


lol - not Delgado, but we have been having serious talks with Maggs over the last couple days. Obviously the Tigers have no problems working with Boras. If we do land him it will be an incentive laden contract much like the Pudge one, where the risk to the Tigers is limited if Maggs cant produce due to injury.

As for the best thing for Maggs - one school of thought is that he should sign a one yr deal and prove himself - if he is really healthy, that would seem the most logical step, and if he isnt healthy then noone should touch him in a long term deal. I disagree - I think he knows that he isnt 100% and playing for a payday when you aren't 100% certain you are back to full health is a huge risk - however, taking on an incentive laden 3 or 4 yr deal accomplishes that payday if he returns to full health and if he needs more time to recoop, then he is already under contract anyway - albeit for less money.

I really hope we land him. ;-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:23 pm
by slomo007
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
grammysboy wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:

i dunno. maybe he'll end up in Kansas City.


Yeah, right...next thing you know, Cornbread will be saying he's going to Detroit and they'll be using him as protection for Omar Infante! :-B


lol - not Delgado, but we have been having serious talks with Maggs over the last couple days. Obviously the Tigers have no problems working with Boras. If we do land him it will be an incentive laden contract much like the Pudge one, where the risk to the Tigers is limited if Maggs cant produce due to injury.

As for the best thing for Maggs - one school of thought is that he should sign a one yr deal and prove himself - if he is really healthy, that would seem the most logical step, and if he isnt healthy then noone should touch him in a long term deal. I disagree - I think he knows that he isnt 100% and playing for a payday when you aren't 100% certain you are back to full health is a huge risk - however, taking on an incentive laden 3 or 4 yr deal accomplishes that payday if he returns to full health and if he needs more time to recoop, then he is already under contract anyway - albeit for less money.

I really hope we land him. ;-D


If you were to land Maggs, would he take Alex Sanchez's spot? :-/ :~(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:25 pm
by Secret Avatar
This is all just nuts. He should have taken the Texas offer. He'll never get a better park for hitters or a better line-up to hit in. Plus, the DH option will actually come in handy, IMO. Supposedly his knees aren't that great, so he could use some rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:00 pm
by Cornbread Maxwell
slomo007 wrote:If you were to land Maggs, would he take Alex Sanchez's spot? :-/ :~(


no. It sure would mean our outfield is too deep though. Sanchez isnt supposed to last the yr even if we dont land Maggs - Nook and Granderson are almost ready and a mid to late season callup is in the cards. If however, we do land Maggs, that means we have Monroe, Thames, White, Higgy, and Maggs to play LF/RF, while we still only have ASanchez in CF. The only one who could possibly make the switch to CF is Monore, but I dont think he is mature enough to do that. Therefore, ASanchez still should be in CF this April regardless of Maggs coming or not - an outside chance that Monroe gets switched to CF or that one of the youngsters wins the job in ST - but that really is a longshot scenario. If you own Sanchez or plan on drafting him, make sure you get rid of him by the AS break at the latest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 pm
by lesgrant
WFAN here in NYC has reported that the Mets are close to finalizing a 4 year $51 million deal.

Good for the Mets if they can close it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:10 pm
by Amazinz
Yeah and Buck Martinez just said the Marlins are out on MLB.com radio. Not sure how he'd know but... ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:25 pm
by red
Geez, now the Marlins are out and the Mets are close?

who said Kansas City? I think you might be the closest.

Maybe he'll just retire...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:30 pm
by Amazinz
Now MLB.com radio is saying Delgado to Florida soon. :-°