Return to Baseball Leftovers

Protection for Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:44 pm

If Helton finds a new team his stats will go WAAAY down. This is a reason why you don't want to have a high value player like that who relies on his stadium for his value as a main keeper.

However I believe he's owed $138M over the next 8 seasons so I can't see a way ANYBODY would even consider taking him from waivers. They'd have to trade him to get rid of him, and they'd have to take on a LOT of salary burden, either directly from Helton's contract, or another player with a horrible contract like Helton's. Maybe the Mets will take him though, who knows :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -179)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby XTSilver » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:50 pm

I agree that his numbers would go down. How likely is it that he will be moved? I'm deciding on whether or not to keep him for a draft coming up in a couple weeks and this would really change my decision.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:00 pm

I don't know how likely it is. It was a rumor talked about on ESPN radio. The Rockies have supposedly been trying to find a trade partner with no luck so there was speculation they might try to stick him out on waivers a la Manny Ramirez.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Return to Baseball Leftovers