Page 1 of 1

Adrian Gonzalez - Projections?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:33 pm
by thomasps3
Soanyhow, I'm trying to get a read on this guy for next year. Will he be a starter in TX? And if he is, what numbers would you expect? I've heard he is supposedly a 25 HR type guy, but just trying to figure how he fits with Tex at 1b.....Thanks

Post me your post if you want some opinions!!!!

;-D ;-D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:33 pm
by BumpWills
I own Gonzalez and expect him to be a good player one day, but not in 2005.

I'd expect .285/.350/.420. Probably around 350 AB's and 10 HR.

Similiar to Lyle Overbay's rookie year, with improvement in following years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:17 pm
by GameOn
I wouldn't expect more than 10 HRs unless he gets the job out of spring training. I really don't have a clue when he will get playing time, I would like them to give him a shot but they might trade him. Just keep an eye out, but in any case I wouldn't be expecting good offensive numbers. he is more known for his glove. If he gets a lot of playing time he will probabl put up similar numbers to Laroche.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:30 am
by Viper8437
isnt that the little kid who ended up in florida?

i dont think hes old enough to play baseball

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:47 am
by GameOn
Viper8437 wrote:isnt that the little kid who ended up in florida?

i dont think hes old enough to play baseball


LOL....yeah that was Ilian Gonzalez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:50 am
by Madison
GameOn wrote:I wouldn't expect more than 10 HRs unless he gets the job out of spring training. I really don't have a clue when he will get playing time, I would like them to give him a shot but they might trade him. Just keep an eye out, but in any case I wouldn't be expecting good offensive numbers. he is more known for his glove. If he gets a lot of playing time he will probabl put up similar numbers to Laroche.


I agree with GameOn. I've been trying to figure out why the Rangers don't just give him the DH spot in '05 and let him play 1B once in awhile and let Teixeira DH. Instead, the Rangers are looking to sign a DH or bring up Jason Botts to DH instead. Really weird. Seems to me it's quite possible that the Rangers put him in AAA, let him post some numbers, and then trade him, unless they move him sooner of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:51 am
by stumpak
He is basically a Mark Grace/John Olerud type. Because he does not now and probably never will provide good value in terms of HRs and definitely not SBs, this makes 2/3 of the categories he can help you in (Rs, RBIs) largely contingent on the team is playing on, specifically the line-up srrounding him. For that reason, he is attractive in Texas, which has a strong line-up and a hitter's park to boot, but I don't get too excited about these type of guys in the long-term. There's a good possibility the Rangers will move him, and who knows where he will wind up? He could go from potentially valuable to useless over night--a move to a team like KC (pitcher's park, super crappy line-up) could cost him .10 of his BA and 40% or his Rs and RBIs. Of course most people won't see this the price you pay for him will be based on his perceived value in Texas. Too risky for my blood; this is why 5 players have such a premium in dynasty and keeper leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:11 pm
by GameOn
Hey Madison, have you heard anything about the Rangers trading Tex at some point to make room for Adrian? I love Tex and I would love to see him sign a deal like Mike young or Blalock did, but with Boras as his agent that won't ever happen. I think Hicks will make Tex go to a different team when he gets closer to free agency if Boras is still his agent. Do the papers talk about this at all? This is my main fear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:24 pm
by Madison
GameOn wrote:Hey Madison, have you heard anything about the Rangers trading Tex at some point to make room for Adrian? I love Tex and I would love to see him sign a deal like Mike young or Blalock did, but with Boras as his agent that won't ever happen. I think Hicks will make Tex go to a different team when he gets closer to free agency if Boras is still his agent. Do the papers talk about this at all? This is my main fear.


They haven't used the "T" word (trade) but they have said that signing Teixeira long term doesn't look too promising since Boras is his agent and they really don't want to deal with him (Boras) anymore. :-/

I'm still hoping they get something worked out. Not banking on it though. Maybe a big year this year and then a trade for a big pitcher? That might not be so bad. :-o