Return to Baseball Leftovers

And how old are you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:55 pm

I guess Barry Bonds should be put out to pasture. Maybe Roger Clemens can be in the field chewing on straw right next to him. Better rethink some of the older players my friend.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 711)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:31 pm

maybe he isnt drafting for next year at all. maybe he wants to be dominant for a long time after a couple of years. That said, I dont think that is a great strategy. Sure, get the young studs, but dont pass on the older studs just because they are old. Trading is always an option, so you can exchange those older guys for younger ones if you wont win that year or something else comes up. My opinion is always keep an eye towards the future, but always play for the current year unless winning is impossible.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:37 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:My opinion is always keep an eye towards the future, but always play for the current year unless winning is impossible.

well said ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby kentx12 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:38 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:My opinion is always keep an eye towards the future, but always play for the current year unless winning is impossible.

well said ;-D ;-D

I agree as well. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:38 pm

no, he is that dynasty league that is just starting up, and he is making the first mistake that any owner can make going into a dynasty ...

he is playing for 2008 ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby irishdude103 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:28 pm

wrveres wrote:no, he is that dynasty league that is just starting up, and he is making the first mistake that any owner can make going into a dynasty ...

he is playing for 2008 ;-D
:-D
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -80)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:04 pm

Draft for this year. The more keepers you can keep, the earlier you should think about taking young studs. But always make smart picks for the current season. Some guy in one of my leagues is playing for 2008, and the only good draft pick he ended up with was Miggy Cabrera (his 3rd round pick - before Thome, the other Miggy, and Schmidt were taken). Prior, Reyes, Kearns, Webb, Crosby, Edwin Jackson, all taken way too early. I took Randy Johnson in the same round that he took Austin Kearns :-b

So play for this year. If it doesn't work out, trade for the future. Keep age in mind if it's a close call between players, but don't avoid player who are 35 and older. BTW how many keepers are there?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby JRM4833 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:21 pm

In my most competitive keeper league, I made sure I got a top keeper stud to build around. I ended up trading my 1st (11th out of 16 teams), 2nd and 7th for his 1st (5), 2nd and 12th. I took Vlad 5th (I offered the deal to the teams with 3 & 4 but they passed and took pitchers) and couldn't be happier. Don't bother with guys who aren't going to help you this (next) year in the earlier rounds. There are plenty of keeper quality guys you can grab in the top 5 rounds who will put up very good numbers as long as you do a bit of research. I took V. Wells with my #2 (and traded him and Berroa for Renterria and the extra spot on my roster which I used on D Davis ;-D ) and I was pumped to have Oswalt fall to my 3rd pick. But IMO, having the one great keeper to build around for years to come is huge.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers