Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 5 at each position for next season.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hooligan1 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:02 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:Lidge has been very studly, I would be very surprised to see all of those guys taken ahead of him. Right now I'm looking at taking him after Gagne and Rivera are off the board.

No doubt, he's a stud. I don't think ALL of those guys will be taken ahead of him in every draft, but there is a possibility that, and perhaps even a likelyhood of the first four I listed going in front of Lidge. The second four, probably will vary from league to league. My league, I can almost guarentee he will not be among the top-3 closers taken. After Gagne, Rivera and Smoltz, it becomes something of a crapshoot......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:17 pm

hooligan1 wrote:Gagne, Rivera, Smoltz, Wagner and possibly Dotel, Benetiz, Cordero and Foulke will probably all go ahead of Lidge.

I really doubt that. Maybe you would draft them all ahead of Lidge, but he'll be near the #1 RP drafted in the majority of drafts I'd assume. Dotel? He has just about the same experience at closer as Lidge, and wasn't nearly as good. Smoltz is going to be a starter. Wagner is injury proned. Cordero has pretty much the same closer experience and wasn't as good (not to mention he only had half of Lidge's K's). Gagne, yeah of course he's the leading candidate to be #1. However he doesn't have the strong MR's setting up for him like he did in the past. Lidge is extremely appealing as a closer going into drafts next year, based on his dominance and apparent health. If Houston can get a setup man, I could see him being the top ranked closer going into 2005. I don't think I could justify taking anybody other than Gagne, and maybe Nathan or Rivera over him. Probably just Gagne. Then again, I won't be drafting a top closer, so it really doesn't make a difference to me ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:21 pm

This just shows how long ago it seems when Houston had Wagner, Dotel, and Lidge. 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:26 pm

Is anyone else worried about the innings Lidge is throwing this year? I agree with you guys when you say he's a top 5 closer for next year but I think I would rather have Nathan (less innings thrown this year, better RP in front of him). I would still say that Gagne holds down the top spot for next year for RP.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:00 pm

I couldn't blame somebody for taking Nathan over Lidge. Closers are a crap's shoot as it is (with the low IP they throw, what would usually be a blip in the radar turns into a giant blob) and Nathan seems to be expected to be healthy next year, while Lidge has thrown in 165 games the past 2 seasons (and on his way to 170 games). Many of thsoe are 2 inning performances. He hasn't had an injury that I know of over the past 2 seasons, but he may be a ticking time bomb. The extra K's Lidge gets are nice, but Nathan has been pretty damn good the last 2 years.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:09 pm

Music2004Man wrote:Is anyone else worried about the innings Lidge is throwing this year?
I would much rather see him get his 100 IP in 70 or fewer apperances. But until a closer/reliever throws over 120 innings I wouldn't be too concerned about the workload.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:14 pm

Has any RP thrown anywhere near 120 innings in a year recently?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:07 pm

Music2004Man wrote:Has any RP thrown anywhere near 120 innings in a year recently?

Depends on what you consider recently. Some of the best relievers of the 70s and 80s pitched in the 120 range every year and played until they were near 40 years old with excellent effectiveness. I'm not sure the last reliever I can think of that was ineffective in a season due to being worn down pitching 90 innings in the previous one. The human body and the game of baseball hasn't changed that much over the past 20 or so years.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Lidge over Smoltz

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:42 pm

Well, I kept Lidge over Smoltz in my keeper league and didn't think twice about it, mainly because the long term potential of Lidge is obviously way higher with Lidge than with Smoltz at this point in their careers. I also kept him over C Zambrano, which I debated, but ultimately decided a top 3 closer was a more valuable commodity than a good no 2 starter, even though Zambrano has great potential.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers