Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 5 at each position for next season.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ukrneal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:45 am

Jackel's list is getting closer to what I might put on my list. But all of them are interesting.

I don't like Mora in the top 5. I know he had a nice year and would have had a nice year the previous 2 years if not for injury, but I wouldn't put him as top 5. I'd pick Blalock or Beltre, most likely Blalock. Good comment about depth - that is important.

For SP, after Santana and RJ, there are about 5-10 pitchers who are roughly the same in my mind. WIth Prior's poor performance this year and never having a long enough run, I'm not sold on him being top 5 for sure. Spring training will be important for me on him.

Dunn and Matsui would probably not make my top 10 OF list, but there are several who could fit in at the end here, so it's really just a matter of personal preference at this point as well as the categories of individual leagues. A good case could be made for Dunn, Matsui, Ichiro, Cabrera, Drew, Edmonds, or Lee.

Best for last: K-rod. I don't get the hype on this guy. First, he HAS not been named the closer yet. He has a good chance, but it's not clear yet. Second, he's never done it for a whole year (or even half a year) and while he might be the next Gagne, he also could be a Rhodes or Dotel (nice K's, but too many blown saves). I KNOW this will raise some eyebrows, but top 5 should be more proven than a setup guy in my opinion. I'd pick Kolb or Nathan or Benitez or Izzy or Franscisco C.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:19 am

Rhodes wasn't that good to begin with, I didn't understand the hype going into this year.... and Dotel was pretty good. He just alowed too many HR with Oakland. Other than those 5 or so extra HR he gave up, I'd say this year was better than last year for him.

And K-Rod is in my top 5 because of the K's and the WHIP. He's flat out awesome. I can't see him not succeeding as closer. Percy won't be back, and K-Rod will be the closer. This season was phenomenal, mostly due to allowing 2 HR instead of 12 like last year.

I can understand why people would disagree with some of my top 5/10's, but hey it's early and everybody has a different idea for every player. For me, Mora is going to be the steal of all 3B's next year. All the sluggers will be the big names, and Mora and all his runs and hits will go unnoticed, and he steals a few bags as well. His BA, OBA, SLG, and OPS have all increased each of the past 3 seasons. I wouldn't expect this year's totals again, but I'd definately expect a big season, and with all the big name 3B's out there, Mora will be a bargain. Batting 2nd or 3rd in that lineup, with thsoe numbers, it would be hard not for him to be in my top 5. Maybe Beltre should be in there but I'm avoiding him at all costs, and I don't think he'll be nearly as good as this season. Maybe we should make a top steal at each position. Mine would be:

C: Michael Barrett (Other than the top 5, who are well known, what other steals can there be?)
1B: Carlos Delgado (Finished well, and it depends on what team he lands with)
2B: Marcus Giles (Power/speed combo, will have a nice 2005)
3B: Melvin Mora (Passed over for slugging 3B's)
SS: Julio Lugo (Batting atop a good D'Rays lineup, will have nice R/SB/BA, and adequate HR/RBI)
OF: Brian Giles (Bad year, but it wasn't only PETCO; he was better at home than on the road)
SP: Kelvim Escobar (I thought this was the year, and to some extent it was, but his fantasy breakout will be in 2005)
RP: Danys Baez (Biggest sleeper closer IMO; won't get the recognition though because of low K's)

I'm sure I forgot a few guys, but that's a quick list.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby ukrneal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:12 am

Well - I understand, and I've been wrong before, but I've never been on the Krod bandwagon - we'll see.

Good point on Mora and I like the way you differentiated between top 5 and fantasy steals. I DO agree that Mora will probably be drafted significantly lower than the others, and if so, would be better value. I was hoping Escobar would do well this past year, but alas....

The only thing I don't get about Lugo is how Upton will truly affect his role. I think there's going to be more speculation on that one until spring training.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby godallahstar » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:17 am

Call me crazy, but I think Justin Morneau could put up numbers that would rival Teixera and/or at the least, bump him into the running.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:38 am

godallahstar wrote:Call me crazy, but I think Justin Morneau could put up numbers that would rival Teixera and/or at the least, bump him into the running.

morneau could quite possibly put numbers that rival any first baseman not named pujols and helton......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby grammysboy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:18 pm

It's way early, but last winter a someone made a compilation of player rankings by position that yielded a list of the top 10-20 at each spot. Those lists were invaluable to me at our auction last spring. I'll have to go back and see who was involved with those and see if we can get a similar project going again this winter. I know there were several "stat heads" in the group who had extensive formulas developed to rank players.

If you were involved with the player rankings project last winter, please keep it in mind for this year again.

I'll bring it back up again later.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Postby mojowitt » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:46 pm

I think Teixeira will be better than Delgado and Javy Lopez will outperform both Kendall and Estrada. I'll also go out on a limb and predict David Wright will put up better #s than Blalock or Chavez. I know thats a reach, but you cant have 1st-3rd round picks at every position and I think Wright will put up numbers next year that will put him in that class in '06...
mojowitt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:50 pm

grammysboy wrote:It's way early, but last winter a someone made a compilation of player rankings by position that yielded a list of the top 10-20 at each spot. Those lists were invaluable to me at our auction last spring. I'll have to go back and see who was involved with those and see if we can get a similar project going again this winter. I know there were several "stat heads" in the group who had extensive formulas developed to rank players.

If you were involved with the player rankings project last winter, please keep it in mind for this year again.

I'll bring it back up again later.

Yup. That was my baby and, as you can see, this is an imperfect science. O:-) Anyway, here it is and I will gladly coordinate another 1 this year:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2004 ... nkings.php
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:13 am

Yup. That was my baby and, as you can see, this is an imperfect science. O:-) Anyway, here it is and I will gladly coordinate another 1 this year:

Actually, looking back at it now, the position players are not that far off. The pitching list is pretty shaky, but in all, I'd still go to our auction with this list today and feel pretty good about it. Thanks for being willing to do another one this off-season. I'll bring it back up sometime in January before ST starts.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:38 pm

grammysboy wrote:

Actually, looking back at it now, the position players are not that far off. The pitching list is pretty shaky, but in all, I'd still go to our auction with this list today and feel pretty good about it. Thanks for being willing to do another one this off-season. I'll bring it back up sometime in January before ST starts.

Thanks. Not sure if it will make it to January but feel free to do so. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers