Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will we find out if Bonds is on Roids?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will we find out if Bonds is on Roids?

Postby pbeall100281 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:31 am

Bad implications if it's his second offense. Anyone have info on a Bonds test previous to this one?

'

Barry Bonds was randomly tested for steroids before the Giants' game against the Dodgers on Friday night, The Contra Costa Times and MLB.com reported.

I'm glad this is finally happening," Bonds told MLB.com. "They'll get the results and it will clear my name. It'll show that there's nothing behind what I've been doing [on the field] all year."

But in an interview with the Contra Costa Times, Bonds sang a different tune.

"My name ain't dirty," Bonds told the paper.

Bonds, who has 703 home runs, is just 11 homers behind Babe Ruth (714) and 52 behind Hank Aaron (755) on the all-time list. Bonds, a six-time NL MVP, has 46 home runs this season.

The results aren't made public unless a player tests positive twice. A first positive test results in treatment, while a second positive result would lead to a fine or suspension, and the player's name would be made public.

Bonds was one of 10 baseball players to testify before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) for alleged tax evasion and the illegal sale of drugs. Bonds was not charged, but his friend and trainer, Greg Anderson, was indicted in the probe.
'

-ESPN.com
Wisdom can give you direction, emotion gets you there. - Jim Rohn
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:34 am

I don't think that he will ever be cleared in the public eye. People will either think he was or think he wasn't. There really isn't much middle ground here. Him saying that it will clear his name is naive. He could have easily just stopped taking them now and they won't show up in the test. Unless he ever admits it or some other proof comes out, we will never know for sure. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:39 am

I have no knowledge of him testing positive once, much less twice. I doubt he would be dumb enough to fail this test with everything that's gone on this year with Balco, steroids, etc.

If by some chance he fails, and it's his second offense, it will be huge headlines the likes of which we've never seen.

I don't see it happening though, and I have zero clue as to if he's ever done steroids or not.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:41 am

Madison wrote:I have zero clue as to if he's ever done steroids or not.

I should have clarified that in my post above. While my opinion is that he was on the juice, I have no idea whether he really was and I will leave it at that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pbeall100281 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:41 am

Lofunzo wrote:I don't think that he will ever be cleared in the public eye. People will either think he was or think he wasn't. There really isn't much middle ground here. Him saying that it will clear his name is naive. He could have easily just stopped taking them now and they won't show up in the test. Unless he ever admits it or some other proof comes out, we will never know for sure. :-?
j

If he stopped taking them and is still this good, would it mattter?
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:44 am

I think there's a middle ground..... if by middle ground you mean people who don't know for sure. I don't think there is a solid answer yet. If no news of a failed test comes out, that means he didn't fail 2. he could have failed this one, he could have failed last year's. We probably won't know. But it means at least ONE of those season's was clean.

Maybe he was on them last year, failed, is off them this year, passed, and will be on them again next year to break the record :-b I'm just kidding, don't take it too seriously. But ya never know........ :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:46 am

pbeall100281 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I don't think that he will ever be cleared in the public eye. People will either think he was or think he wasn't. There really isn't much middle ground here. Him saying that it will clear his name is naive. He could have easily just stopped taking them now and they won't show up in the test. Unless he ever admits it or some other proof comes out, we will never know for sure. :-?
j

If he stopped taking them and is still this good, would it mattter?

Yes because if it didn't matter, then why take them in the 1st place?? ;-)
Lofunzo

Postby pbeall100281 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:53 am

I don't think Barry has ever used illegal steroids but I bet he has used designer chemicals. I also don't think it matters if he has or hasn't used currently illegal or soon to be illlegal performance enhancers. No one puts better wood on the ball and does it with such consistency as Bonds. That hand eye coordination and intense concentration has little to do with such chemicals. Bonds hardly strikes out and has great patience. If anything, steroids would prohibit such behavior. Props to the greatest hitter of his era.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pbeall100281 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:01 am

Lofunzo wrote:

There could be many reasons, I'm sure you're competent enough to think some up but, that doesn't matter. Players try new strength training, stretches, preparations, exercises, foods, pitching motions, swings, ect... all the time. Doesn't mean all of them work or that the player can even relate one of them to a specific result. If roids is your variable and Barry is just as productive with than without them than that would lead one to a conclusion that your variable is not pertinent to the result.
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:21 am

pbeall100281 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

There could be many reasons, I'm sure you're competent enough to think some up but, that doesn't matter. Players try new strength training, stretches, preparations, exercises, foods, pitching motions, swings, ect... all the time. Doesn't mean all of them work or that the player can even relate one of them to a specific result. If roids is your variable and Barry is just as productive with than without them than that would lead one to a conclusion that your variable is not pertinent to the result.

Let me preface this by saying that Bonds was a HOF player before this stuff came out but has vaulted himself into legendary status in the past 5 or so years. ;-D

Now, are you really trying to compare a new preparation technique to hiding in your house with a syringe hanging out of your butt?? I'm not saying that he did steroids but I am also not naive enough to think that if he did them, they had nothing to do with any success. :-?
Lofunzo

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers