Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cesar Izturis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:51 pm

A-Rod was the better SS fielder than Izturis is this year, but Izturis still gives A-Rod a run for his money. I say Rollins and Izturis battle it out for the NL SS Gold Glove and Hinske and Rolen battle it out for the AL 3B Gold Glove. A-Rod gets left out this year due to his transition from SS to 3B.

At Shortstop
Izturis:: .985 F% with 9 errors
A-Rod:: .989 F% with 8 errors
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8578
(Past Year: -75)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:58 pm

So0peRsPam wrote:A-Rod was the better SS fielder than Izturis is this year, but Izturis still gives A-Rod a run for his money. I say Rollins and Izturis battle it out for the NL SS Gold Glove and Hinske and Rolen battle it out for the AL 3B Gold Glove. A-Rod gets left out this year due to his transition from SS to 3B.

At Shortstop
Izturis:: .985 F% with 9 errors
A-Rod:: .989 F% with 8 errors


Rolen is in the NL, dude. :-D
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3741
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: doing my laundry...

Postby warrick95 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:37 pm

I've said this many times before...actually...that Izturis is hands down the best defensive SS in the game. Renteria only won last year because he got pub for his bat.

To be honest, errors and FPCT cannot completely judge a player. See...some players are able to make more plays than others...some that wouldn't be charged errors if not made, since it's not expected that a player will make it. Izturis is one of those players that can make those plays. He's absolutely incredible.

Izturis+Cora turn the smoothest double play I've seen in a while.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5290
(Past Year: -150)
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby LBJackal » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:47 pm

Hinske's only competition for the Gold Glove is Scott Rolen 8-o

Even though Rolen is in the NL, he has a better chance of winning the AL Gold Glove than Hinske does :-b
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9018
(Past Year: -178)
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:58 pm

warrick95 wrote:To be honest, errors and FPCT cannot completely judge a player. See...some players are able to make more plays than others...some that wouldn't be charged errors if not made, since it's not expected that a player will make it. Izturis is one of those players that can make those plays. He's absolutely incredible.


Exactly. ;-D Fielding and Gold Gloves are the most subjective part of the game IMO. From awarding errors to determining the best fielder at a particular position there are so many variables it's impossible to determine greatness just from the pure numbers, you have to see the player play everyday to accurately evaluate a players fielding ability I think.
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6044
(Past Year: -436)
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby warrick95 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:08 pm

And somebody tell me that the sportswriters that vote for these awards watch these guys play every night. They'll pretty much vote by reputation.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5290
(Past Year: -150)
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:14 pm

warrick95 wrote:And somebody tell me that the sportswriters that vote for these awards watch these guys play every night. They'll pretty much vote by reputation.


Yep. Same thing with the college football polls, Heisman, etc etc. :-t
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6044
(Past Year: -436)
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby warrick95 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:15 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
warrick95 wrote:And somebody tell me that the sportswriters that vote for these awards watch these guys play every night. They'll pretty much vote by reputation.


Yep. Same thing with the college football polls, Heisman, etc etc. :-t


At least there are only a dozen or so college games a year...so the writers will at least watch a good portion of those. Who's going to watch 162 games of different teams each year?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5290
(Past Year: -150)
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:22 pm

Yeah, never thought of it that way. :-? There really isn't any other way to do it though is there? Outside of having a panel of "experts" watch every game of every team, but that'll never happen. :-°
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6044
(Past Year: -436)
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron