Return to Baseball Leftovers

spot starting during playoffs.... 60 adds in 1 wk?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

spot starting during playoffs.... 60 adds in 1 wk?!?

Postby scorched03 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:03 am

i told the commish abt this earlier, but no one believed me to limit adds or start freezing excessive adds. H2H, normal cats except for holds.

one guy in the league is adding like crazy. commish was just beaten... by a guy that added abt 60 times this last week. now in playoffs round 2, he is adding to make sure all of his roster spots have a person playing everyday. overall in last 2 wks he had to have about 80 adds.

now, there's no rules against this, but technically if someone fills every single roster spot, then of course they would win R,H, HR, RBI, SB, W, K's while losing on avg, era, whip.

any opinions on this? ppl mentioned this topic in this
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... &start=165 thread, but i dunno if anyone imagined someone would add abt 10 guys a day to get a full roster every day of the week.

sounds like a bad nightmare for a money league (.25cents an add), any comments on this?
scorched03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:46 am

i dunno man, i think the guy can do whatever he wants with his team. most people use spot starters anyways. even though the guys is adding like crazy it won't guarantee him a win, yeah, he might have a better chance on getting more RBIs than his opponent, but in the other hand he's risking his avg and era, and if the players he added don't do anything, he'll lose, so he's taking his chance and hoping for the best. now, his opponent must be aware of what the other guy is doing, he can't just sit and complain the other guy is adding people. if he's confident his picthers can keep the era down he doesn't have to play everybody and lose on the Ws and Ks, and watch the offense. i think adding picthers is more significant than adding bats cuz your position players will prolly play everyday and even on mondays you should still have some people playing for you.
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:14 am

ummm.... how? this maybe gets you an extra 15-20 ABs per week, and since they're from WW players, they're probably not going to be quality ABs.

now, spot-starting pitchers is one thing, (i'm going to make a point of not losing Ws and Ks if my ratios go all to hell), but since you have a starter playing every day of the week with two possible exceptions (and off-days are hte exception, not the rule, during september), I don't really see how this gives you a big advantage in the batting cats.

that said, a good startegy would be to add players who are playing double headers to get the extra game. i did this with monroe (it's a shallow league...) and scored a two hr/6 rbi day out of it. i've added david wright (again, shallow league), as well, for the double dip tomorrow against atlanta.

but i don't see this as cheating in any way. and i mean it's not like the same option isn't available to you. if you don't like the way your league is structured, change it for next year.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby ukrneal » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:38 am

What your 'friend' is doing is called churning and has been argued ad nauseum on the boards. It is an unfortunate part of fantasy life, most especially when it is done only at the playoffs.

Churning is generally frowned upon. The only way to prevent it is to be commish, be with a commish who specifically rules against it and has transaction limits, join league with a larger bench or more players (fewer FA worth taking), or find leagues where the scoring categories make such a strategy unprofitable.

If, before the draft next year, a commish is unwilling to do something about churning, I would suggest you find some different leagues.

I'll wish you the best of luck in your league and hope that churning backfires on him.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:21 am

It's very common to run a complete list of hitters every day in the playoffs of H2H.

Now as to pitching, this is a perfect reason why inning limits (or another solution) should be in place to prevent the loophole of "quantity over quality".

Something to point out for next year. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby davus » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:22 am

ukrneal wrote:What your 'friend' is doing is called churning and has been argued ad nauseum on the boards. It is an unfortunate part of fantasy life, most especially when it is done only at the playoffs.

Churning is generally frowned upon. The only way to prevent it is to be commish, be with a commish who specifically rules against it and has transaction limits, join league with a larger bench or more players (fewer FA worth taking), or find leagues where the scoring categories make such a strategy unprofitable.

If, before the draft next year, a commish is unwilling to do something about churning, I would suggest you find some different leagues.

I'll wish you the best of luck in your league and hope that churning backfires on him.

I've always understood churning to be picking up players and then dropped them without starting them even for a game, thereby making them unavailable for another team to pick up without waiting for the waiver process.

What this guy is describing just sounds like annoying but fair play in a no-limits H2H league.

That's why I don't like H2H...but I always end up playing 1 every year anyway. :-?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:32 am

davus wrote:
ukrneal wrote:What your 'friend' is doing is called churning and has been argued ad nauseum on the boards. It is an unfortunate part of fantasy life, most especially when it is done only at the playoffs.

I've always understood churning to be picking up players and then dropped them without starting them even for a game, thereby making them unavailable for another team to pick up without waiting for the waiver process.

You are correct Davus. ;-D

Churning=Picking up players and cutting them immediately so they go on waivers where no one can use them.

Quantity over quality=Starting as many pitchers as possible to win the countables.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby strats36 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 am

60 in a week is a little excessive. At this point in the season you shouldn't have any empty roster spots if you can avoid it at all. You're just wasting a chance at a stat. Every little bit counts now.
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:21 pm

As far as I'm concerned its perfectly legit! especially during the playoffs... As long as he's not churning the players and actually using the ones he pick up I don't see how there can be anything wrong w/ it. I had Randa last week on my team for the Dbl against Det. and made out like a bandit, and then proceeded to drop him the same day.... Spot starting pos. players is no different than pitchers, you take your shot at picking up players for some stats and hope to not have your ratio stats get killed... I would much rather stream players during the playoffs and get beat by the other teams due to my ratios i.e. BA/ERA than losing because the other team had another couple SB's etc, and I had players w/ off days where I did nothing.
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -193)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:29 pm

We had this problem in 2002. So starting in 2003 we implimented a 40 pick/drop limit for the season. So everyone wants to hold on to their pick/drops for the playoffs. My rule of thumb is to have 10 pick/drops saved for the playoffs...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers