Return to Baseball Leftovers

The dominating Minnesota twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The dominating Minnesota twins

Postby NZF » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:41 pm

As good as Johan Santana's ERA has been since June, his twin brother JC Romero's has been even better. 35 innings pitched since he last allowed a run.

His ERA has dipped from 5.70 to 2.60 over this period since June 11.
Coincidentally almost to the day that Santana's ERA started to dive as well. It was 5.50 on June 9 and now it's 2.85.

Anyone know the record for scoreless innings. I had a feeling it was someone like Orel Hersisher with around 60 innings pitched without allowing a run. Though I don't know if that included unearned runs or not.

The Twins playoff hopes will undoubtedly depend a great deal on their twin pitchers.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:53 pm

Hershisher had 59 consecutive IP without a run allowed (no unearned runs). It was over a span of 7 games. 5 straight complete game shutouts, and the final game he pitched 10 scoreless innings before being pulled.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby NZF » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:10 pm

Very tough record to beat. For a MR to get anywhere near it would be a phenomenal effort considering it would equate to about 50 individual outings as opposed to the 7 by Hershisher.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:31 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Very tough record to beat. For a MR to get anywhere near it would be a phenomenal effort considering it would equate to about 50 individual outings as opposed to the 7 by Hershisher.

The difference being that hitters face Romero only once whereas against Hershiser they had a chance to adjust.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby NZF » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:51 pm

Fair comment, but I still reckon it's tougher to stay perfect, the more days you run yourself out there.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby so0perspam » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:55 pm

I would believe that it would be easier for starters to break the consecutive scorless innings record than RP's
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:07 pm

So0peRsPam wrote:I would believe that it would be easier for starters to break the consecutive scorless innings record than RP's

I was actually thinking the complete opposite. :-? It would be tough for anyone to break the record, don't get me wrong, but being a reliever you usually work 1-2 innings max. Therefore you can go all out and throw everything you have for a shorter time, theoretically making you tougher to face IMO. That's why the great RP's have low ERA and WHIP's despite throwing only 70-80 innings a year to balance out bad outings since they have fewer of them. You could also say RP's don't get in the same groove a SP would, but if you have a solid bullpen with defined roles, that effect is minimized to a degree. Maybe my logic is flawed (it usually is when it comes to pitching :*) ), but that's just my $.02. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:10 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
So0peRsPam wrote:I would believe that it would be easier for starters to break the consecutive scorless innings record than RP's

I was actually thinking the complete opposite. :-? It would be tough for anyone to break the record, don't get me wrong, but being a reliever you usually work 1-2 innings max. Therefore you can go all out and throw everything you have for a shorter time, theoretically making you tougher to face IMO. That's why the great RP's have low ERA and WHIP's despite throwing only 70-80 innings a year to balance out bad outings since they have fewer of them. You could also say RP's don't get in the same groove a SP would, but if you have a solid bullpen with defined roles, that effect is minimized to a degree. Maybe my logic is flawed (it usually is when it comes to pitching :*) ), but that's just my $.02. :-?

I don't think you are that far off. I would give a RP the better chances of breaking the record.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby so0perspam » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 pm

Yeah but what I was thnking was that if you were an RP, it would take an eternity and a pretty darn long hot streak to break that record. If you were a starter and were in the zone for 5 or so outings, you would have a good shot at breaking it. Maybe RP's do have a better shot, but remember, a SP holds the record. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby DaQ » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:03 pm

I agree w/ SaintsOfTheDiamond and Tavish here, although both sides give very good arguments. It's almost imposible for a starter to pitch 5 complete game shutouts - in a row. I know Jason Schmidt has thrown many complete games, but throwing 45 innings in 25 days (around that) can really tire out your arm. A relief pitcher only pitches 1-2 innings a night, and his arm will be better rested when he cones out of the pen again (it may not even be back-to-back).

IMO, it is easier for relievers (ex.look at Gagne's save streak - 83 IN A ROW!)
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers