Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Nomo returned?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has Nomo returned?

Postby jebatzel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:40 am

6ks in 6 IP today for the win

I know its only the Diamondbacks though.

anyone see him pitch?
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Has Nomo returned?

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:52 am

jebatzel wrote:6ks in 6 IP today for the win

I know its only the Diamondbacks though.

anyone see him pitch?

high Risk, medium reward ...
Personally, I still havn't taken Nomo or Piazza off the DL yet. Currently I don't need them ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby thehat » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 am

I'm passing on Nomo. Too much risk. Nice effort tonight, albeit vs. what is literally a AAA team.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby stumpak » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:06 am

His velocity is back, which was his problem earlier in the season. I would pick him up in heartbeat except that someone already beat me to it. If fully healthy, which looks to be the case, he is a great pticher--lots of Ks, pitcher's park, good team with a great closer, which translates into wins.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:26 am

stumpak wrote:His velocity is back, which was his problem earlier in the season. I would pick him up in heartbeat except that someone already beat me to it. If fully healthy, which looks to be the case, he is a great pticher--lots of Ks, pitcher's park, good team with a great closer, which translates into wins.

I agree...he's a potential stud. Why is everyone so down on him? He is a great pitcher (with high Ks) when healthy. Is there a reason he is not respected here?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:49 am

i think he should be a very good sleeper for next year if his velocity stays up. as for this year, looks like he'll likely have a start against stl and another one at Coors. so prolly only has limited spot start value.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby jebatzel » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:15 pm

you think I should drop him for Washburn?
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:26 pm

slomo007 wrote:
stumpak wrote:His velocity is back, which was his problem earlier in the season. I would pick him up in heartbeat except that someone already beat me to it. If fully healthy, which looks to be the case, he is a great pticher--lots of Ks, pitcher's park, good team with a great closer, which translates into wins.

I agree...he's a potential stud. Why is everyone so down on him? He is a great pitcher (with high Ks) when healthy. Is there a reason he is not respected here?

I watched very little of the game but if you think that an 87 MPH means that his velocity is back, then go for it. That, combined with a splitter that stays up too much, makes me want to avoid him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I watched very little of the game but if you think that an 87 MPH means that his velocity is back, then go for it.

thats still 7 mph better than anything he was throwing before. :-D

i really didnt see the game... but i'm not going to pick him up unless its a deep/nl only league. just spot start against the padres etc... ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I watched very little of the game but if you think that an 87 MPH means that his velocity is back, then go for it. That, combined with a splitter that stays up too much, makes me want to avoid him.

Could be...but he seems like a good gamble, as opposed to so many people trying to pick up rookies who have been called up. At least he is proven and has shown what it takes to be a stud pitcher in the Majors. I admit I am still nervous when he pitches, but for the most part I think he's a good risk.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers