Return to Baseball Leftovers

League Playoff Problem Situation - What to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League Playoff Problem Situation - What to do?

Postby redbird5 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:51 pm

Our league is a H2H 10 Team Mixed League - All the team owners know at least one other owner in the league - so it's a rather friendly league. The Commish and I have known each other since we played little league together - many many many years ago.

Problem #1: In our rules it states that a team can have only 10 active pitchers on your roster, but a team ( a co-worker of the commish) has had 11 active pitchers. The 11th pitcher was a 2 start pitcher for this playoff week. The commish has called several teams on this violation during the season, but now during the playoffs he has ignored the situation, all though I know it has been pointed out to him.

Problem #2. In our rules our rosters are frozen during the 4 week playoffs (we are in week 2). A player can only be replaced if and when the player goes on the MLB DL. Our commish dropped W. Alvarez, who was hurt, but not put on the DL to add a 2 start pitcher for this weeks playoff came. A clear violation of our league rules.

I have sent him 2 emails about these, but he won't even answer the emails. I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't like this - to me 8 teams are playing by the rules and two are not. Any suggestions or recommendations or should I just chill out?

Thanks
redbird5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:06 pm

You arent being a jerk, you are right to point out the rule violation your leaguemates have commmited. Considering he is commish there isn't much you could do, but you said you were friends so maybe you could talk to him about it.

Otherwise, try and gather support from those 7 other righteous teams and explain to the commish why the league won't be fair and stable if the rules aren't followed.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:08 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:You arent being a jerk, you are right to point out the rule violation your leaguemates have commmited. Considering he is commish there isn't much you could do, but you said you were friends so maybe you could talk to him about it.

Otherwise, try and gather support from those 7 other righteous teams and explain to the commish why the league won't be fair and stable if the rules aren't followed.

Call Ripley. I agree with PF. ;-D
Last edited by Lofunzo on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:39 pm

You have every right to call him out on this unfair behaviour. Baseball is a game where the rules should NOT be broken, the rulebook for the real game is sacred.
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:29 am

I'd call him on it as well. ;-D

Get with the other 7 owners and make sure the two offending owners abide by the rules of the game. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby shortsavage » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:57 am

I would definately call him on those infractions. He isn't related to Pete Rose by chance, is he?

Maybe it would be good to have an end of the season BBQ or something where all the owners who are not cheating can casually voice their opinions.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby redbird5 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:28 am

Thanks everyone for the input. The 10 owners run from Michigan, Illinois, Utah, California, Oregon and Wisconsin, so the cookout idea won't work very well. The other problem I have is that one of the other owners is the son of the commish - so it's dicey. The commish has ALWAYS been a straight up guy and I've known him since he pitched and I was his catcher in LL, so I will try to contact him via phone today and see if we can't get things worked out. Otherwise I look for a new league next year.

Thanks again!
redbird5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mikcou » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
pomplona's finest wrote:You arent being a jerk, you are right to point out the rule violation your leaguemates have commmited. Considering he is commish there isn't much you could do, but you said you were friends so maybe you could talk to him about it.

Call Ripley. I agree with PF. ;-D

I agree as well
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby JTWood » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:32 am

Hate to say it, but these kind of actions are reasons to threaten to leave a league. If you can't trust the commish to run the league by the rules, who can you trust? Give the man a call and get this fixed ASAP.

Good luck!

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Return to Baseball Leftovers