Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Ethics Question

Postby ukrneal » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 am

Fireball Express wrote:Do I think it's unethical. No, by no means do I think so even though you might catch heat. If it's within the rules it is ethical.

Are you kidding here? Just because it's in the rules DOES NOT mean something is ethical. Our Constitution said that it was ok to have slaves and even counted them differently in terms of electoral votes. Was that ethical?

Before the '60's there were separate bathrooms, places on the bus, etc. for many minorities. Was that ethical?

Rules are not always ethical. THey are two very different things.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:05 am

Ukrneal, wow, comparing tanking a game to slavery. That's a little over the top. Fact is though that at some point in time most people saw the practice as ethical. Seems though that slavery is NOT legal now and blacks and white can share the same bathroom. The laws have been changed. If the general fantasy baseball public thinks that tanking a game is unethical then they should incorporate a rule to prevent it. If it's within the rules I deem it fair.

What would you rather have; the championship (which in my case is a gaudy trophy and a nice hunk of cash) or a pat on the back for being a good sportsman?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:17 am

Fireball Express, ukrneal was over the top with his comparisions but he does have a point. Legal does not equal Ethical.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Legal does not equal Ethical.

Agreed. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:29 pm

I also agree. Though, I'd bet Kobe doesn't quite get it.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:18 pm

Then you guys can have the pat on the back. I'll take the cash and the crown anyday. I guess that makes me a dirty lowdown rotten unethical bastard in your eyes. However there will be no * next to my name on the trophy that signifies I tanked a game. Living on the edge of the rules (laws) and finding loopholes are part of life. I do it everyday and I'm sure a good portion of you do the same.

I didn't know there were unwritten rules of conduct in fantasy sports. Please tell me where I can find this list so that I can pass it on to all the other ultra-competitive GMs in my league. ;-)
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:33 pm

Fireball Express wrote:I guess that makes me a dirty lowdown rotten unethical bastard in your eyes.
8-o That's a little harsh. My ethics are not your ethics that is why we have rules. If it is within the rules, then fair game. Whether something is ethical or not depends on a person's values, not the rules of the game.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby ukrneal » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:25 am

Fireball- I guess youmissed the sarcasm aspect of being over the top. So let me be a bit more practical and more straight-forward.

If I can't win ethically, then in fact, I have lost. Oh, I may be first in a race, but inside I will have 'damaged' myself. Silly example: Your friend says he's faster than you and bets you $1000 he can run 100m (or 100 yards, whatever) faster than you. You agree. You race. 20 feet from the end you bump him forcing him to slow down and you go across the line first. You never had a rule about contact. According to you, this is fine because it is within the rules. All I can say is who needs a friend (or an opponent) like that?

There are two things at work here: the rules and the spirit of the rules. I think (notice that it is my opinion - yours is equally valid) that in this case, the spirit of the game and the rules is to do the best you can each week. That said, if you play with like people (who care more about the rules themselves), than there is no problem.

But that doesn't make it ethical. I'm merely trying to separate the two because they are two different things.

Many professions have an ethical code: doctors, lawyers, CPAs, CFA's, etc. By your reasoning, if something isn't explicitly stated, it is fair game. But ethics don't work that way.

Anyway, ethics is a fluid thing and we might disagree because of different morals, principles, philosophies, etc.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby kvillantz18 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:29 am

Two words... Bad Carma!
Up in here?
kvillantz18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtarail » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:39 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i think it's okay to bench your starters in games that don't matter in order to make sure they don't get hurt for the playoffs. i mean, pro ballclubs do it, right?

;-7

I could be wrong--and this was a moot point before MLB expanded the playoffs--but I've never heard of a team benching their starters with the goal of losing games so that they would get to play a certain team in the playoffs.

IMO you should just play to win. You're gonna have to play the good teams in the playoffs sooner or later, so you might as well take your medicine sooner rather than later. Who knows, maybe you'll win.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers