Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Ethics Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 pm

I assume that you are saying that you are already guarenteed the bye and you would lose just to affect the matchups. Obviously I wouldn't give up the bye week for any reason, but I don't think you're saying that. I just wouldnt do it either way. Bad karma. I dont particularly like when teams throw matches. And it really bothers me when teams lose or just quit to get the better drafts spots the following year (keeper leagues). For that reason, I like leagues that reward the winner of the consolation bracket with the 1st pick.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chopper » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:47 pm

You are all, of course, correct. I wish I hadn't even considered it.
In fact, I'm going to take a shower to wash this slime off and then go kick some fantasy ass this week.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:49 pm

I've never thrown a game and I don't believe I could no matter how much I thought it would benefit me. Maybe I just believe it involves too much of my character, but I just couldn't throw a game or a week. I believe that if I threw a week and ended up winning the league, it would still feel tainted to me. Just the way I am I guess.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:09 pm

I think it is insulting to some measure. Like you are so good you are going to throw things just to manipulate it further. I don't like the idea of it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:48 pm

THAT'S the spirit!!

As Vince Lombardi said 'The best defense is a good offense'. What else do you need? Then again, that doesn't really apply to baseball. An offense helps but look at the Bosox woes this year!!

Chopper wrote:You are all, of course, correct. I wish I hadn't even considered it.
In fact, I'm going to take a shower to wash this slime off and then go kick some fantasy ass this week.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby contrastiktion » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:33 pm

im pissed ive got a bye... why not just throw me the 8th guy to munch on next week... box scores are going to mean so much less to me next week :-/
contrastiktion
College Coach
College Coach

Postby strats36 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Never give up a bye! Weird things can happen in h2h. Your team could slump and the other get hot. You can be out of the playoffs in the first round. I've clinched second place and I am very thankful for the bye.
strats36
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:39 pm

In my money league we reward the Regular Season Champ some nice Cash. That's incentive enough for us.

Do I think it's unethical. No, by no means do I think so even though you might catch heat. If it's within the rules it is ethical.

In my Fantasy Football League one year I tanked the last game of the regular season just so I could have a better matchup in the playoffs. It worked and I went on to the Bowl where I lost to the guy I was trying to avoid in the first place.

It's a dog eat dog world. Just don't get caught wearing milkbone shorts!
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:50 pm

1. I would never punt a week.
2. I would have no problem if someone else punted a week as long as the team they were facing had no shot at making the playoffs.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby West Coast Fan » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:44 am

I'm in two H2H leagues, and in first in both, so I get a bye the first week of the playoffs.

What I'm looking at though is the week of the 13th of Sept, which is the second week of playoffs. Who are my starters playing that week? Is there an off day that I need to consider. Should I pick up a bench player on a team that has a weak schedule that week. Like who's playing KC or Arizona that week?

I can't in good conscience throw what I'm doing this week. As posted earlier, your own players could go into a slump.
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers