Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Ethics Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Ethics Question

Postby Chopper » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:28 am

Is it OK to throw a match this last week for a more favorable side of the playoff bracket?

I'm in second just a couple games behind. First and I are assured byes. If I think I match up better against the bottom bracket with the 3rd and 6th seeds, is it OK to throw the match with no. 1 this week? It feels pretty slimy and I'm not sure I can play without trying to win anyway....but what is the general feeling around here?
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Apollo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:34 am

As long as you're not getting anyone into the playoffs or keeping anyone out of the playoffs, I suppose it's all right. However, I would try to win just to finish the regular season in first--everyone knows the playoffs are a crapshoot, just like in real life, so it feels pretty good to win the regular season.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:32 am

It depends on your league; some consider this a legitimate tactic, others consider it taboo. If you're playing with friends, you might want to ask the rest of the league and try and find some sort of consensus.

(In my own league, we felt it wouldn't be in the league's long-term interest, and therefore disallowed throwing games. It's probably not much of a problem when only the order of the first two teams is at stake, but we wanted to avoid any chance that a thrown game could affect whether another team makes the playoffs or not.)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:05 am

Don't you get a bye if you are in first or second? While an easy matchup is nice, it's hard to get easier than a bye.

The other thing here is, with the ebb and flow of the MLB season, the fantasy output of players should change as stars take breaks to rest for the playoffs, minor leaguers come up for a taste, etc. A team that has been raking can suddenly cool off and a team that has been cool can switch it around. Perhaps you've considered this already in your plans but I don't see much advantage in 'punting' a matchup ever.

The ethics are a bit shady but I would not lock a team for it or anything, I'd just hope that they'd get their butt wiped in the playoffs...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:21 am

i am against throwing games for any reason. you should always play to win.

its hard to say for any certainty whether or not this will benefit you. you may feel you match up better against a certain team but you never know what is going to happen until you play the game.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:27 am

i would think your chances are a whole lot better with a bye week than against the #6 seed....u throw this week and then the #6 seeds player will all be on fire the week u play them......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:44 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i am against throwing games for any reason. you should always play to win.
I agree ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:43 pm

i think it's okay to bench your starters in games that don't matter in order to make sure they don't get hurt for the playoffs. i mean, pro ballclubs do it, right?

;-7
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:22 pm

Even if it's not 'illegal', there is the risk that, particularly if you are playing w/ friends, you will be the subject of MERCILESS trash talking for the rest of this year and well on into next year. Of course, if they are clever, they will come up with an offensive and degrading nickname to stick you with. Hopefully, the commish won't edit your teamnames to include it but you can be sure that it will be a regular feature of the message board postings, etc.

It's much easier to kick ass than put up w/ that risk...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:25 pm

I don't like throwing games. In fact, I've never thrown a game - although my team has certainly looked like it's been trying to lose on purpose.

:-[

As mentioned before, though, if you're not helping someone out, then I have a hard time seeing the problem with it other than your own sense of pride being undermined.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers