Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Pitchers > Top hitters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:10 am

you draft hitters first because as the author proved....you can always trade hitting for pitching.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:40 am

Gotta go with hitting first. In addition to the higher injury risk for pitchers, they also seem to have a higher "wha ...?" factor (anyone spend high picks on Colon, Zito, Webb, Loaiza?). Sure, there's an occasional Boone or Chipper, but overall proven hitters are much more reliable.

I drafted just three pitchers in my top 10 and still, through either good picks or trades and free-agent moves, ended up with a staff of

Mulder (in trade for BGiles, 5th round)
Santana (7th round)
Garcia (11th)
Wolf (9th - worst value pick so far)
Beckett (in trade that also brought Beltran, cost me Oswalt 3rd rd)
Arroyo (FA)
Contreras (FA)
FCordero (12th)
Urbina (FA)
Hermanson (FA)
Ayala (24th - holds league)
Torres (FA)
Howry (FA this week)

I'm second in a 14-team league, 1 1/2 games out of first (H2H).
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Pokey » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:00 pm

[quote="George_Foreman"] but what if you drafted schilling/prior/beckett early this year? well, then you're kinda screwed.quote]

those were the first three pitchers I drafted :-o . However I'm still in first place with that team.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:09 pm

...BUT, if you happen to GET a pitcher who turns out to rock, like Santana (who I dumped early and then got off waivers after his first 'good' outing and who has REALLY smoked since the all-star break...) or C. Zambrano, it can make a big difference in your team's overall performance. Instead of scrambling, spotstarting and dealing your hitters, you can sit back and watch the numbers roll in.

I was keen on trying to get Prior but was VERY relieved that I missed him, in light of how (little) he's done. Other than him, ALL of the top pitchers, even the ones who've done well, had injury ?s that made me averse to them. My highest drafted pitcher was Vazquez who's done OK but apparently REALLY struck out A LOT of pitchers he faced last year!! Other than that, I have R. Ortiz (traded Sheets for him and C. Guillen), El Duque (waivers), L. Hernandez (drafted, specifically for CG, which he has gotten several of for me...), C. Carpenter (traded J. Guillen). A good staff and I've been below 3 in ERA for a while now in weekly H2H matchups. Few of the other teams are below four while I've moved from seventh to second since the allstar break. Even though you can't safely draft pitching, you can't blow it off either.

I did trade G. Anderson + Foulke for Zito VERY early in the year and had been really bummed re that move but dumped him on waivers last week. I just moved into second in our H2H league and the first place team picked him up in time to get his decision yesterday!!! Muwahahahahaha
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers