Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Pitchers > Top hitters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top Pitchers > Top hitters

Postby bkholla » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:26 am

I ahd the best hitting team in my league and came to the realization that having the top ranked pitchers outways the top ranked hitters, any opinion?

C V mart
1b Ortiz/Snow/Morneau/Broussard
2b Hall(switch with whoever is on a hot streak)
3b Newhan/Batista/Quinlan/Mueller
SS Upton(switch with whoever is on a hot streak)
Lf Dunn/Tucker/Bay
Rf Pena
Cf Cameron

Pitchers :-]
Schmidt
J.Santana
R.Johnson
Wright(atl)
Perez(PIT)
Pavano
Drese
Gagne
Hoffman
Wickman
Taverez

Keep in mind I have this pitching in a 12 team league.

So basically I can sit back and win about all the pitching categories and just use whoeer is on a hot streak to win hitting categories.

Trades I made
arod for schmidt( a few days ago when he got sick, good timing)
sosa/westbrook for Dunn
Suzuki/kent for J.Sanatna(kent sucks, and Ichiro only gets hits)
Alou/Graves for Cameron/Hoffman
Ward/Colon for T. Martinez/Gagne ( a long long time ago)
bkholla
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top Pitchers > Top hitters

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:37 am

bkholla wrote:I ahd the best hitting team in my league and came to the realization that having the top ranked pitchers outways the top ranked hitters, any opinion?

I don't understand the question.

If you are asking whether pitching is more important than hittin in fantasy baseball. The answer is: it all depends.

In roto , the cats should be balanced so that there are just as many points for hitting as for pitching.

If it is H2H points, it all depends on the scoring rules.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Re: Top Pitchers > Top hitters

Postby mikcou » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:48 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
bkholla wrote:I ahd the best hitting team in my league and came to the realization that having the top ranked pitchers outways the top ranked hitters, any opinion?

I don't understand the question.

If you are asking whether pitching is more important than hittin in fantasy baseball. The answer is: it all depends.

In roto , the cats should be balanced so that there are just as many points for hitting as for pitching.

If it is H2H points, it all depends on the scoring rules.

I dont paticulary understand either... to me balance is better although injuries to pitchers sometimes scares me from taking them in the 1st/2nd round...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:07 pm

I think his question is which way to lean towards when drafting a team.

I've always built around hitting, but he has a point. You can always find some decent hitters in the early teens that don't have that big a gap from earlier players taken, but the pool for pitchers is usually pretty thin, especially since many in leagues prefer to pick starts, and thus take more than they actually need. Look at guys like Dye, Bay...they've all produced solidly, while not being top-tier options at all.

HOWEVER, the injury risk for pitchers far outweighs that of hitters. Hitters are a safer way to go, in my opinion, while pitchers have the greater risk and therefore, reward. How many of y'all have gotten bit by Prior this year? Or Beckett? Or like me, both for crying out loud (add Zito)?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:24 pm

schmidt will be more useful to your team than arod or pujols or abreu.

but it's far easier to predict arod and pujols and abrue than it is to predict schmidt. hitters are more consistent year-to-year, so when drafting, they're the safer bet. granted, if you take three stud pitchers early and they all pan out, you're golden. but what if you drafted schilling/prior/beckett early this year? well, then you're kinda screwed. I suppose the same can be said for guys like chipper and boone, but the top teir of hitters has all done well (the guys i mention, plus helton, thome, beltran, etc.) while there are always a couple top pitchers from last year who simply don't perform as well the next season.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby great gretzky » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:41 pm

um no, abreu is more useful to your team than schmidt, In my opinion, and in many others. it is a matter of 50 percent of your scoring or 40 percent (in 5 by 5 roto), maybe if schmidt garnered saves on his off days there would be a comparison...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

for example

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:51 pm

I agree with everyone elses general consensus. Hitters are much easier to predict and therefore much less of a risk. If you pick a hitter early and miss on him(he has a bad year) it hurts but not ALL that bad. If you take a pitcher early and HE misses OUCH. For an example i will offer the likes of Chipper Jones vs Barry Zito. Those drafting Zito probably expected(and reasonably so) to see at worst 12 wins, 3.50 era, 1.25 whip, and a 140 k's. He is going to have to finish pretty strong to reach ANY of those numbers(except perhaps the K's) much less all of them. Chipper meanwhile, you could safely pencil in at .300 avg., 25 hr, 90rbi,95 runs. Just like Zito , he is going to have to finish really strong in order to reach any of those number much less all of them. Of these two players in down years I would have to imagine players who have Zito are hurting MUCH more than those with Chipper. I hadn't ever really thought about WHY there seems to be so much of a discrepancy but i think it all comes down to numbers. Most leagues your going to draft between 5 to 7 starters, to go along with 2 to 4 releivers. Meanwhile your going to draft roughly 14 hitters of any position. If you miss on a reliever you have only 1 to 3 other releivers to make up the slack. Likewise if you miss on a starter you have only 1 to 6 other starters to make up the slack and fill that void. However, if you miss on a hitter (regardless of position) you have about 13 other hitters to help fill that hole. I think it is a matter of Risk vs Reward. You can take the risk on hitting with a pitcher, and be highly rewarded. However if you MISS you will be severely penalized.

just my opinion,

hope it made sense and helps,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ender » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:22 pm

I'll take good hitting over good pitching any day. Especially in my league where we each start 7 pitchers or so a week with 4 closers, the stats from any given pitcher get diluted too much and taking W's and K's many times comes down to who gets the most double starts in a week, that and a SP can't affect SV's so you only get 4 categories out of them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:41 pm

You should ALWAYS draft offense first. More predictable to begin with, and then there's the most obvious factor...an offensive star can contribute in five categories. The best pitcher on the planet can only get you four.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:59 am

I think that it might be easier to get better pitchers lower in the draft so they are 'cheaper' BUT have more risk than hitters. Not sure I can come up w/ stats for this but most of the guys who are kicking ass w/ pitching in our league (myself included...) have guys that they picked up towards the bottom of the draft racking up stats for them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers