Return to Baseball Leftovers

Upton hitting 3rd???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upton hitting 3rd???

Postby chinch sacs » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:38 pm

What the F***?

Lou, your my boy, but get real... Upton needs to be hitting 2nd or 9th IMO
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:25 pm

Don't you find it a tad funny that him hitting 2nd is fine with you, but 3rd is so far out of the question in your mind?

Anyways he is hitting there cause Lou obviously wanted a right handed bat there with Rocco out.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:31 am

hybrid wrote:Don't you find it a tad funny that him hitting 2nd is fine with you, but 3rd is so far out of the question in your mind?

Anyways he is hitting there cause Lou obviously wanted a right handed bat there with Rocco out.

So when you become a big league manager, when do you think it appropriate to start putting power hitters into the line-up? 6th? How many "table-setter" type hitters to you want on the top of YOUR line-up card?

Yes, sarcasm is a specialty of mine O:-)

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:49 am

Well let me start by saying that wasn't very good sarcasm ;-7 . Also when I saw the line up, Huff was hitting 4th... you saw the same one right? And if you want to get technical, Upton has as much power as probably anyone in that line up besides Huff.

BTW you really don't find it funny that because he was hitting one spot lower you thought it was absurd basically, or at least didn't like it enough to curse?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:59 am

If it were up to me (as an Upton owner in my money league) I would have him hit 3rd the rest of the season, but I do not think it is the optimal place to have a hitter of his type...

In all real baseball sense, he should be hitting low in the order to get used to major league hitting (and dont try to come back with a lame comment like "hes hitting .345 this season" hes had like 35 ABs)

chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:01 am

hybrid wrote:Well let me start by saying that wasn't very good sarcasm ;-7 . Also when I saw the line up, Huff was hitting 4th... you saw the same one right?

and BTW, I was asking YOU when to have power hitters start appearing in a line Mr. All Knowing, not whoever setup the real line-up, you just seemed to be so very OK with someone, who is 19 and has like 30 major league ABs, hitting in what I think is the most important power-hitting spot in the line-up

chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:31 am

My bad when people are being so called sarcastic, I don't take what they seriously.

But if it was me, I would bat him 2nd unless he showed he was struggling. Not sure why you had to know that, but there ya go. Ummm ... did I ever say I was "Mr. All Knowing". It started as a comical reply to your post. Which you still haven't even answered. Why is 2nd fine, but 3rd is a big WTF?

Just some last thoughts:
- I believe the 3rd spot is not for the best power hitter, but instead commonly reffered to as the spot for the best hitter in general.
- Why am I ok with someone 19 batting in the 3rd spot? Because we aren't playing for anything. All these games are doing is getting ready for next year and the future. Upton just so happens to be a BIG part of it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby chinch sacs » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:39 am

You are right Hybrid, what in the world was I thinking :-°

I'm done with this, I was going to keep going, but it always leads nowhere, fast.

The only point I was trying to convey, was I really dont think Upton is the prototypical #3 hitter, everythink else in this thread is meaningless dripple written by both you and myself...

I call truce, because I am tired, and neither one of us is right because we are only stating OPINION...

;-D

chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:45 am

At last we agree on something ;-)

If that was your only reason for not liking him in the 3rd spot, that's fine.

Of course we could debate what the prototypical #3 hiitter is ... :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:22 pm

Just who would be the prototype #3 hitter in the current TB lineup?

Maybe I'm missing something, but hitting Upton third with Baldelli on the DL makes perfect sense to me.

Crawford leadoff, Lugo second, Upton/Huff in the next two spots (either way), Tino fifth (you cannot hit Tino third anymore), and then whoever is playing to fill things out till Gathright ninth.

What better altermative exists?
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers