Od. Perez
Contreras

RPs:
Foulke
Benitez
Hawkins
C. Cordero

Hermanson (benched)
Marte (to be dropped once Hawkins finishes serving his suspension)...he's been on/off my team for a while now.

Now, being 55.2 IPs under, would adding another SP catch me up, or would picking up a spot starter 2 to 4 times a week work better? I was considering picking up pitchers against weaker hitting teams, like Arizona or Kansas City. Of course, I normally prefer actually having a pitcher by name to work with, since it's more consistent and something that I can depend on. With schedules, I may not find a good spot start for a while. Weaver comes off waivers on the 16th, other than him, Ted Lilly's available.

Thanks.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:55 am

Depends on a few things.

If you can make serious improvements in pitching categories by making up your innings pitched, then it is worth the risk of grabbing a spot starter every other day for a while. By doing this regularly though you will hurt your ERA and Whip. Guaranteed. If you can afford to take the hit then you have to take the risk.

If you are doing well in ERA and WHIP and can only make up ground in K's and Wins and could potentially do more damage than good, it may be a better tactic to just sit with what you have, look after your ERA and WHIP, and end the season with innings up your sleeve.

One thing you can rely on at this time of the season is that there are usually several decent spot starting options every day. I don't know if you could pick up a decent SP you could rely on for the rest of the season though. Depends on the league size.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:41 am

I'd take a long hard look at who's in the free agent pool and most likely pick up one or two extra starters. If the pool is extremely shallow, then spot starts would be the way to go.

If your trade deadline isn't up yet, then making a trade with a team that's severely over their innings limit would be an option too. I've done that before. Point out how far over they are, and then snag a good deal on a top flight starter since they are about out of innings. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:38 am

Thanks, guys.

Well, the deadline's today. Only team that is significantly over in IP is the 1st place team and I want no part of his top pitchers (Sheets, Clemens, Maddux...sell highs, IMO).

I'm currently 1st in WHIP, 2nd in ERA, 3rd in Ks, 1st in SVs, and 10th in Ws. It's obvious where my team lacks talent.

WHIP:

Looking good here, have a chance to get caught by one team...slighter chance for the rest.

ERA:

Dangerous. Can gain a point, but also lose one or even two.

Ks:

Johan=God. It's amazing how good my K numbers are considering how many innings I have used. I'm confident I can slip into 2nd. The 905 team is nearly 100 IPs over, so there's an outside shot that I can overtake him, as well. With Prior and Beckett back for the stretch run (knock on wood), it may work out well.

SVs:

Four closers (Foulke, Benitez, Hawkins, C. Cordero) and also Hermanson, whom I'm tempted to drop, so hopefully this stays in tact. I've been leading SVs all year and would've had it locked up had I not traded F. Cordero+B. Roberts for Foulke. Stupid save opportunities...

Ws:

This is interesting. Only one team really has a shot at overtaking me, while I can easily strike on two to four teams. I'm probably going to see whether I want Weaver on my roster or not at this point. I strongly believe he's the best SP available.

I'm going to drop Marte for either Gathright or Millar (Jason Bay, the other option, was just picked up today), to platoon with Castilla when he's away from Coors. Then, I'll either be able to a. drop Hermanson for Weaver or b. stay put. Idea c. would be to drop Gathright or Millar when Vinny is at Coors and pick up Weaver for a start here or there then. I'll have some serious thinking to do.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikcou » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:44 am

warrick95 wrote:Thanks, guys.

Well, the deadline's today. Only team that is significantly over in IP is the 1st place team and I want no part of his top pitchers (Sheets, Clemens, Maddux...sell highs, IMO).

I'm currently 1st in WHIP, 2nd in ERA, 3rd in Ks, 1st in SVs, and 10th in Ws. It's obvious where my team lacks talent.

WHIP:

Looking good here, have a chance to get caught by one team...slighter chance for the rest.

ERA:

Dangerous. Can gain a point, but also lose one or even two.

Ks:

Johan=God. It's amazing how good my K numbers are considering how many innings I have used. I'm confident I can slip into 2nd. The 905 team is nearly 100 IPs over, so there's an outside shot that I can overtake him, as well. With Prior and Beckett back for the stretch run (knock on wood), it may work out well.

SVs:

Four closers (Foulke, Benitez, Hawkins, C. Cordero) and also Hermanson, whom I'm tempted to drop, so hopefully this stays in tact. I've been leading SVs all year and would've had it locked up had I not traded F. Cordero+B. Roberts for Foulke. Stupid save opportunities...

Ws:

This is interesting. Only one team really has a shot at overtaking me, while I can easily strike on two to four teams. I'm probably going to see whether I want Weaver on my roster or not at this point. I strongly believe he's the best SP available.

I'm going to drop Marte for either Gathright or Millar (Jason Bay, the other option, was just picked up today), to platoon with Castilla when he's away from Coors. Then, I'll either be able to a. drop Hermanson for Weaver or b. stay put. Idea c. would be to drop Gathright or Millar when Vinny is at Coors and pick up Weaver for a start here or there then. I'll have some serious thinking to do.

well now that Prior is back you should be using up innings faster anyway. If you can find somebody that will get you wins but not mess up your good era and whip, pick him up and start him
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:52 am

I agree. I would think that you will make up ground with Prior and Beckett back. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:03 pm

Thanks, guys. Only thing worrying me right now is how hesitant I always am to start Contreras. Deciding whether or not to start him is tougher than choosing between Heidi Klum and Elle McPherson.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:41 pm

but not in a good way like that
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:42 pm

Right. It's more like choosing between Nancy Reagan and the old woman from The Wedding Singer.
/action: Shudder...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers