Return to Baseball Leftovers

great moves and dumb moves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

great moves and dumb moves

Postby grammysboy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:43 pm

Reading the great stuff here at the Cafe last winter, I put a lot of stock in the concept that players will tend to return to their normal. Forgetting that, I picked up Jack Wilson while he was hot in May and then realized he was way over producing and promptly dropped him, (when I asked others in our league about a trade they asked; Jack Who?)

I picked up David Newhan in early July when he was on fire and have kept him throughout. I have decided not to drop him until he cools off for an entire week.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:49 pm

Great move: Drafting Chris Carpenter in round 22 of a 16 team league.

Dumb move: Dropping Carpenter after one start.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:50 pm

that is something i keep in mind for trading purposes but not for pickups. i like to keep a revolving roster spot and just pick up whoever is hot. when they cool down i drop them and find someone else. just because someone is over performing doesnt mean you shouldnt pick them up, just means you shouldnt go crazy trading for them.

of course it is sometimes hard to tell who is overperforming. i have rejected many melvin mora deals early in the season and am starting to look foolish but i guess it is saved me more often than not.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:13 pm

i have a more fluid philsoophy I guess than most, and don't grow attached to any particular player except for those two or three who provide the "basic outlook of the team"

so for this year I built around beltran, abreu and schilling -- and didn't remain married to the rest.

so I trade and pick up a lot. invariably there are mistakes, and two years in a row I got nailed on the same thing -- HOT catcher. Dropped javy early last year, victor martinez this year. If I hadn't done the latter, I would be probably impossible to catch, now, not so sure.

best move was trading maggs for mulder right when he came back from his first dl stint -- to a guy who overvalues power -- or trading vernon wells and maddux for bonds, then subsequently (next day) trading him and rhodes for pujols, then using the spot to pick up hafner.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby LouisC9999 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:14 pm

Great move: Trading Graves for Sheffield early in the year (Sheff's contribution to my team: 23 HR 64 RBI 3 SB 153 TB 3 ER .309)

Great move: Picking up Beltre from waivers after an impatient owner dropped him during his early-season slump.

DUMB move: Dropping Beltre after two games in which he went 1/4 and 04).
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby LouisC9999 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:18 pm

Another DUMB move: Rejecting Maggs for Huff (I have Maggs) as Maggs was about to return from his first DL stint :~( :~( :~(
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:24 pm

Dumb: Trading Benitez, Mesa and Ichiro for Pierre, Burrell and Contreras in my keeper league. What was I thinking!

Dumb: Trading Mota (we have holds) for Myers in that same keeper league because my staff was old at the time (Schill and RJ).

Good: Trading for Schmidt right before he starting tearing it up... all it cost was C. Johnson, Glavine and Herges) (thanks to their hot starts).

Great: Right before Glaus gets hurt, trading him straight up for Pedro.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby wannabthechamp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:44 pm

Dumb: Not picking up Beltre when he was available for awhile early on in the season. Also, trading Mark Buehrle for Jason Giambi on June 12th. :-t

Good: Picking up Chris Carpenter early on in the season and picking up Dan Kolb and Mark Loretta after the draft. ;-D
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SuperHippo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:17 pm

Great: Trading Kaz Matsui for Johan Santana when Johan was struggling.

Bad: Trading Scott Rolen for Roy Halladay (I had Chavez too)
SuperHippo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:58 pm

Good- Trading Khalil Greene and to get Carlos Guillen on like the first week of my really really deep single season league

I bet you anything this was the worst trade of any person in fantasy baseball this season
Dumb- Trading Travis Hafner and Randy Johnson for Richie Sexson and Barry Zito right after the draft in that same league geez that has lingered with me all season
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers