Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moneyball in Boston: Success or Failure?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:23 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
but the A's didn't have some keen insight that made them know these guys were going to be dominating

I think this post earlier explains this better than i could.

Zito, Hudson, Mulder were all undervalued at the drafts... guess what happened? Beane genuis drafted them... the "underachieving" no fastball, no upside guys.

Mulder was the consensus #1 pitcher in the draft the year the A's took him #2 overall, Zito was a guarenteed first rounder when the A's took him 9th overall. Not sure how they were undervalued.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:40 pm

Mulder was the consensus #1 pitcher in the draft the year the A's took him #2 overall, Zito was a guarenteed first rounder when the A's took him 9th overall. Not sure how they were undervalued

Damn i didnt know that about those 2 pitchers, was going off someone elses info. Well hudson wasnt a top prospect though was he?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby perlick29 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:53 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Mulder was the consensus #1 pitcher in the draft the year the A's took him #2 overall, Zito was a guarenteed first rounder when the A's took him 9th overall. Not sure how they were undervalued

Damn i didnt know that about those 2 pitchers, was going off someone elses info. Well hudson wasnt a top prospect though was he?

Well Hudson was drafted in the 6th round, and zito while he was a first rounder may have been more of a late 1ster who the A's wanted more than many other teams. I posted already and conceded about Mulder but Zito, and certainly Hudson had "insider scouts" naysaying.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:03 pm

The best part is that Hudson was picked based on his "stuff" and makeup plus the thoughts of the "old school" scouting department the A's had at the time. When Blanton gets called up we can see how the draft on statistics philosophy stacks up. ;-D

As far as Zito being undervalued, he was pretty well guarenteed to go in the first round. If the A's liked him so much that they took him with the 9th overall pick then thats great for them. But he wasn't exactly a steal.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers