Return to Baseball Leftovers

Finley's value; If traded or not

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Finley's value; If traded or not

Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:03 pm

I'm hanging on to Finley only in the hope that a trade might pump his value for a while. The way he's producing, I think he has little value if he stays in Arizona. If I knew he wasn't moving, I'd drop him now. But, is it even realistic to hope for a rejuvenation boost from a trade? Looks like the only teams left in the running are SF, SD and LA. Would playing for any of these teams make him a more productive player?
I know the trade deadline is coming up soon, but I've got a lot of roster mess to deal with like injuries, suspensions, guys coming off DL, etc.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:11 pm

I would think his value would decline a little if he went to san diego just because that park is so big.everyones stats goes down in that park....except pitchers of course.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:17 pm

I think he would go slightly up in LA, even if it is pitcher friendly. I like that lineup.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -30)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:25 pm

Here is a part of an article from CBS's Tristan Cockcroft. Tristan addressed your exact question. I currently cannot find the link to the article, as I am recieving it in a private fantasy league.

Tristan Cockcroft (CBS) wrote:Steve Finley: His declaration he'll only play center field and for a team on the West Coast severely limits the number of possible destinations, but he's a virtual lock to be dealt somewhere. Remaining in Arizona won't help matters from a Fantasy perspective, especially with Arizona's offense due for further decline once Luis Gonzalez undergoes season-ending surgery in early August.

T O T H E M A R L I N S?
Split G AB R H HR RBI SB AVG
Pro Player Stadium 52 209 37 55 5 20 8 .263
vs. rivals 494 1,833 275 484 57 214 81 .264

The spacious Pro Player Stadium gaps might hurt his numbers in the power categories, and it won't help Finley that the Marlins aren't a much better offense than the Diamondbacks (4.3 runs per game compared to 4.0). Incidentally, he's hitting just .189 in 25 games in July, so such a move might only continue him on his cold spell.

T O T H E D O D G E R S?
Dodger Stadium 101 394 61 110 13 38 14 .279
vs. rivals 494 1,860 328 574 73 263 51 .309

It's rather surprising that Finley has performed so well in pitching-friendly Dodger Stadium, but these numbers are promising for concerned Fantasy owners. His value actually could increase slightly if he does head to Los Angeles, considered a likely destination by many.

T O T H E P A D R E S?
Petco Park 6 23 2 7 1 2 1 .304
vs. rivals 547 2,094 346 608 76 264 55 .290

Petco Park would rob Finley of many home runs, but he would provide a good fit atop a lineup that needs help in the top third. These numbers suggest that any loss he suffers in run production would be more than made up in batting average.

T O T H E R A N G E R S?
Ameriquest Field 11 47 8 13 2 11 0 .277
vs. rivals 101 357 42 92 8 37 18 .258
vs. AL 331 1,090 143 289 22 134 48 .265

Fantasy owners have to be drooling over the prospect of Finley moving to Ameriquest Field, the most hitting-friendly environment in the AL and the second-ranked offensive park in baseball. The Rangers are third in baseball with an average of 5.5 runs per game, and almost any hitter who joins that lineup would enjoy a boost in production.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:32 pm

Thanks a bunch, Lenny and Pooja. Great info, shortsavage. Just the analysis I was looking for. Thanks.
Guess I'll sit on him a bit. But if he doesn't move, he's WW fodder!
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers