Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankee Stadium News

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankee Stadium News

Postby ZAZ » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:44 pm

This is pretty off topic, and maybe in the wrong forum (which is such a pain about this site since about every possible topic has it's own separate forum but everyone just looks here for the most part) but this is interesting news.

Crains NY just posted this story about Yankee Stadium plans (man the Boss has some dough huh?):

Yankees plan to build new stadium

by Anne Michaud

The New York Yankees plan to announce within the next two weeks that they want to build a new, $750 million stadium across the street from Yankee Stadium. The new stadium would be in McCombs Dam Park.

According to sources close to the deal, the team will ask for $450 million in public infrastructure investment to build a hotel and conference center, a new Metro North stop, and a ferry landing, as well as three new parks elsewhere in the Bronx. Under state law, the team must replace the parkland it uses.

The team will likely seek to finance the facility by issuing tax-exempt Industrial Development Authority bonds. Sources say revenue from the new stadium would more than pay off the bonds. The Yankees were at first looking at a design that would have increased luxury boxes to 70. But the design did not work well, and the team is now planning 50 to 52 skyboxes. A spokesman for the team says the Yankees are continuing to work out the details with the Bloomberg administration and that an announcement is expected in the coming weeks.

According to sources, Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion played a major role in bringing the city and the Yankees together.
Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:45 pm

steinbrenner is just trying to find new ways to spend his money
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:steinbrenner is just trying to find new ways to spend his money

.....and generate more. I hope the new stadium looks and feels like the old. Definitely better not be any freakin' hot tubs or mini-trains above the outfield. Also hope that George doesn't sell the naming rights. I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and still have it be Yankee Stadium.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:52 pm

Both the Mets and Yankees have been trying to build new stadiums for a while now but have received little help from anyone other than Giuliani. It's time. Both teams need new digs. :-t
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby ZAZ » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:Both the Mets and Yankees have been trying to build new stadiums for a while now but have received little help from anyone other than Giuliani. It's time. Both teams need new digs. :-t

I've always said that they can't mess with Yankee Stadium, even after visiting many new ballparks. Then I went to Pac Bell (or SBC whatever) recently and looked around and said, screw history, let's get a cool downtown stadium like this. However, this location on the East River wouldn't really cut it in terms of having the skyline views. PacBell's of San Fran and the bay can't be beat. Now, if they could get something built on top of Battery Park with the downtown skyline, bay, and Statue of Liberty all there, that would be something. Too bad for the park being gone of course.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:34 pm

I think that you can build a new, modern Yankee stadium and still include all of the history. The Yankees played in Shea while the stadium was completely demolished and rebuilt in the '70s so it's not like it's the original structure or anything. As long as you move Monument park into the new stadium I think it'd pretty cool.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think that you can build a new, modern Yankee stadium and still include all of the history. The Yankees played in Shea while the stadium was completely demolished and rebuilt in the '70s so it's not like it's the original structure or anything. As long as you move Monument park into the new stadium I think it'd pretty cool.

I agree. At first I never wanted them to touch Yankee Stadium, but it could turn out cool.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think that you can build a new, modern Yankee stadium and still include all of the history. The Yankees played in Shea while the stadium was completely demolished and rebuilt in the '70s so it's not like it's the original structure or anything. As long as you move Monument park into the new stadium I think it'd pretty cool.

Basically what I was trying to get at above. I really hope it has the same look as the current Yankee Stadium. They can make it bigger, w/ more revenue producing luxury boxes, but I hope it still looks like the old stadium at a glance. And like I said, please don't make Babe Ruth roll over in his grave by doing something really gimicky. Keep it dignified. Lastly, maybe I'm being too much of a purist but I would really appreciate it if they didn't sell out the name. It will always be Yankee Stadium to me regardless but it will be nauseating to look up and see some commercial sponsor's insignia hanging off of it like a gaping wound on baseball's shrine.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:33 pm

:~( :~( :~( it will be a very sad day when the yankees move. i really hope financing falls apart or something, how could you possibly tear down a field played on by babe ruth? the only acceptable thing to do would be tear it down leaving the field intact and build around it. :~( :~( :~(

ps thank god they arent talking about moving to jersey anymore. if that ever happened id boycott baseball
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:43 pm

WeaponsMasProduction wrote::~( :~( :~( it will be a very sad day when the yankees move. i really hope financing falls apart or something, how could you possibly tear down a field played on by babe ruth? the only acceptable thing to do would be tear it down leaving the field intact and build around it. :~( :~( :~(

ps thank god they arent talking about moving to jersey anymore. if that ever happened id boycott baseball

It's not the same field that the Babe played on. It was replaced between '73-'76. It's in the same location but it's an entirely new structure and surface. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers