Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes leaves game early

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Armed and Hammered » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:17 pm

"He's day-to-day with a mild sprain, nothing to worry about" according to the Mets play-by-play guys about 90 seconds ago.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 443
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 7 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pomplona's finest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:17 pm

Sprained his ankle sliding into 2nd, when he didn't need to. His fooot got caught up in the turf, just another reason astro turf needs to go.


I actually like astroturf, it is dangerous I agree but it adds a unique element to the stadiums which contain it. Sort of like a home-field advantage of sorts. The players become used to the turf and learn how to utilize it to their advantage.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3056
(Past Year: -6)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dirt Farming in Madagascar

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:39 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:
Sprained his ankle sliding into 2nd, when he didn't need to. His fooot got caught up in the turf, just another reason astro turf needs to go.


I actually like astroturf, it is dangerous I agree but it adds a unique element to the stadiums which contain it. Sort of like a home-field advantage of sorts. The players become used to the turf and learn how to utilize it to their advantage.


Well, if it's unique and dangerous you like, maybe we can try spikes on the outfield walls.

"Oh, and Hunter leaps and makes the grab! He steals a home run from David Ortiz! But wait! It looks like something's...yes, it appears that Torii Hunter has impaled himself on the center field wall. Oh, well, Bob, looks like it's time for the Twins to find themselves a new centerfielder."

:-D I'm just messing with you, of course. :-b
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6663
(Past Year: -62)
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby Danimal » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Didn't take long, eh?
8-o
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 928
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bricklayer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm

Pedantic wrote:
pomplona's finest wrote:
Sprained his ankle sliding into 2nd, when he didn't need to. His fooot got caught up in the turf, just another reason astro turf needs to go.


I actually like astroturf, it is dangerous I agree but it adds a unique element to the stadiums which contain it. Sort of like a home-field advantage of sorts. The players become used to the turf and learn how to utilize it to their advantage.


Well, if it's unique and dangerous you like, maybe we can try spikes on the outfield walls.

"Oh, and Hunter leaps and makes the grab! He steals a home run from David Ortiz! But wait! It looks like something's...yes, it appears that Torii Hunter has impaled himself on the center field wall. Oh, well, Bob, looks like it's time for the Twins to find themselves a new centerfielder."

:-D I'm just messing with you, of course. :-b

LMAO!!! Dang that was funny! "You know Bob, Johnny Damon would have never made a mistake like that..."
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 229
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 28 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:18 pm

1. It's not the same ankle as last season, so hopefully this isn't anything serious.

2. They no longer have Astroturf in Olympic Stadium. It's that rubberized turf, which is a lot easier to run on. In fact, Cliff Floyd was talking about it today, saying tht if he had gotten to play on this surface for those years in Montreal rather than the cement-like Astroturf, he probably would not have suffered nearly as many injuries.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3707
(Past Year: -14)
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:25 pm

Thanks for the info thehat, wasn't sure they changed it there yet or not. I agree it's a lot better then astroturf to run on, it was a pretty awkard slide by Reyes which prolly contributed most to how he injured himself. Didn't know whether to go head first or not and got caught up in the turf.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6079
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:40 pm

thehat wrote:1. It's not the same ankle as last season, so hopefully this isn't anything serious.

2. They no longer have Astroturf in Olympic Stadium. It's that rubberized turf, which is a lot easier to run on. In fact, Cliff Floyd was talking about it today, saying tht if he had gotten to play on this surface for those years in Montreal rather than the cement-like Astroturf, he probably would not have suffered nearly as many injuries.

It's the same surface that the D-Rays and Twins use too (Field Turf). For some reason it just looks uglier in Olympic Stadium. :-D

The Giants/Jets use that surface in the Meadowlands and it was voted in the top 5 of favorite surfaces to play on by NFL players.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Bricklayer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:18 pm

How many different kinds of surfaces are there?
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 229
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 28 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:38 pm

Bricklayer wrote:How many different kinds of surfaces are there?

Currently there are just two. I believe they still use AstroTurf (or they call it AstroGrass now, not sure what the difference is) in Toronto at the Skydome. They use FieldTurf at Olympic stadium, Tropicana Field and the Metrodome. Everybody else uses natural grass.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron