Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz Suspended 5 games.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz Suspended 5 games.

Postby matmat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:16 pm

David ortiz got suspended for 5 games for his bat throwing incident. (ESPN).

he'll appeal, probably lose and sit for some insignifican series and a bit against jays and orioless or something like that...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4107
(Past Year: -13)
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Re: Ortiz Suspended 5 games.

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:17 pm

matmat wrote:David ortiz got suspended for 5 games for his bat throwing incident. (ESPN).

he'll appeal, probably lose and sit for some insignifican series and a bit against jays and orioless or something like that...


Actually, I think he'll probably win the appeal, and only get 3 games.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2179
(Past Year: -19)
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby john gardner » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:42 pm

Do these suspensions also include FINES?? B-)
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 7 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: IRMO

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:43 pm

john gardner wrote:Do these suspensions also include FINES?? B-)


I believe you don't get paid for the days you're suspended. So ya, there are fines.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2179
(Past Year: -19)
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm one of those people that put every suspension up against Sosa's. For someone to make a conscious decision to cheat to only get 7 games means, in my opinion, that an on-field rant in a hot moment should be a small suspension.

Alas, that won't happen...
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7088
(Past Year: -93)
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:16 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I'm one of those people that put every suspension up against Sosa's. For someone to make a conscious decision to cheat to only get 7 games means, in my opinion, that an on-field rant in a hot moment should be a small suspension.

Alas, that won't happen...

It was a smaller suspension, 5 games. Ortiz flips out on the umps and then throws his bats out onto the field. I like Ortiz a lot but you just can't do that childish crap. Punishment fits IMHO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:22 pm

Don't get me wrong, I expected five games.

But, I guess I'm still mad that Sosa wasn't suspended more than 20, which I think he should have received.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7088
(Past Year: -93)
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Re: Ortiz Suspended 5 games.

Postby DaQ » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:38 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
matmat wrote:David ortiz got suspended for 5 games for his bat throwing incident. (ESPN).

he'll appeal, probably lose and sit for some insignifican series and a bit against jays and orioless or something like that...


Actually, I think he'll probably win the appeal, and only get 3 games.


I agree w/ this. Milton Bradley was suspended for 4 games for doing the same thing (pretty much) and he has a bad rep. This is the first time Ortiz does something and he gets even more games than Bradley? I don't get it.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2581
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 6 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ortiz Suspended 5 games.

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:47 pm

DaQ wrote:I agree w/ this. Milton Bradley was suspended for 4 games for doing the same thing (pretty much) and he has a bad rep. This is the first time Ortiz does something and he gets even more games than Bradley? I don't get it.

That's a good point. I thought M.B. had received 5 days but if it was only 4 then that's what Ortiz should have gotten.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Yanks1226 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:54 pm

I dont like ortiz at all, he needs to learn some english, most of the best players dont speak english or have some gay accent, it pisses me off, i want mantle and mays back, no accents
Last edited by Yanks1226 on Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanks1226
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 146
Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron