Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ for Posada? Discuss!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:23 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Piazza isn't even a catcher. Not to mention he's got only a few years left in him.

He's played 36 games at catcher this year and 46 at 1B. He's still a catcher. Now maybe if this crazy Kendall trade goes through he won't be a catcher but he is as of now. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:24 pm

slomo007 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Piazza is a no-brainer. Varitek and Lopez are more comparable than you think...check out Varitek's stats vs. Posada's. And they're the same age. Pierzynksi is a .300 hitter who is 4 years younger. I would probably take Posada over him, but the case can be made.

Piazza isn't even a catcher. Not to mention he's got only a few years left in him.

3-4 years of Piazza > 5 years of Posada.

You forget Piazza isn't a catcher. And if you did take him as a catcher it would be a travesty. He's horrible as one. I'm taking defense into consideration too.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 pm

hey thats the trade i just did yesterday in my fantasy non keeper league how funny i gave rj for he gave me posada i think it was a pretty damn good trade
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:29 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:You forget Piazza isn't a catcher. And if you did take him as a catcher it would be a travesty. He's horrible as one. I'm taking defense into consideration too.

The only thing Posada does better than Piazza is throw out runners. I'd take Piazza to manage my rotation over Posada easy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby GrimZeke007 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:35 pm

Trading away Posada for RJ would be terrible, when you think how gaping the hole at the catcher would be for years to come! Posada is one of the few catchers that both has a rare power/defensive ability. Navarro altough some say is Posada lite* with a little less power will not be called up in several years, and he's struggling big time in triple a. RJ would be a fix for this year and probably next, but what then when he loses his skills? We lose an all star catcher who had started for the AL 2 of the past 5 years!!! no way. plus i still hear we have a chance to trade contreras, navarro, cano (ranked someone told me 3rd best 2ndbase prospect), and others for RJ.
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby perlick29 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 pm

GrimZeke007 wrote:Trading away Posada for RJ would be terrible, when you think how gaping the hole at the catcher would be for years to come! Posada is one of the few catchers that both has a rare power/defensive ability. Navarro altough some say is Posada lite* with a little less power will not be called up in several years, and he's struggling big time in triple a. RJ would be a fix for this year and probably next, but what then when he loses his skills? We lose an all star catcher who had started for the AL 2 of the past 5 years!!! no way. plus i still hear we have a chance to trade contreras, navarro, cano (ranked someone told me 3rd best 2ndbase prospect), and others for RJ.

Agreed. that's basically what I said, that the Yanks would have no catcher.

BTW if the Yanks did that 2nd deal you mentioned, then they would truly have my grandmother and a bag of BBQ chips in their farm system.

Although, my grandmother has been cycling the juice lately so that might help. (Prune juice that is... :-D)
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby rich101682 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:38 pm

I don't know if anyone paid attention to this story when it was on ESPN, but the Dbacks said that if they were to trade RJ to the Yanks, they would want Posada as A PART of any trade.

So in theory, the D-Backs may want more than just Posada, especially if he could opt out of his contract.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:12 pm

stark seems to think that AZ hasnt asked for posada:

Sal (Westport, CT): Have you heard about the new rumors on a three way trade with the angels, yankees and d-backs that would send prospects from the yanks to the angels for ortiz then yanks would send ortiz ot the d-backs for Johnson. but today I have heard D-backs want Posada too? How true is all of this?

Jayson Stark: Yeah, this has been going around. And there are indications the Angels and Yankees have talked. But what's in it for the Angels to help the Yankees get Randy Johnson? They don't match up. And there's no real incentive for any AL team to help the Yankees win the World Series. Arizona wants a catcher, but they're not crazy enough to ask for Jorge Posada.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5595
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Ronniebegood » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:22 pm

Posada is 32 years old, Johnson is 40.
Posada has been the anchor signal caller for the Yanks for years
Johnson may retire in a few years
At the current time the Yankees have no replacement for Posada
The Yanks could get by without Johnson

Just looking at the above logic there is NO way the Yankees should trade Posada... :-t
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ronniebegood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GSes » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:03 am

slomo007 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:This is a no-brainer if you're the Yankees....DO IT.

I disagree. Bad move for the Yankees.

How? Posada isn't exactly a Spring Chicken anymore...and we all know that catchers wear out as their careers go on.

RJ has at least 1 more dominant year left in him, and beyond that, who knows?

Assuming money isn't an issue (as it usually isn't for the Yankees), this is a fantastic trade for them.

No way. That's a horrible trade. Posada when at 100% is arguabley the best offensive catcher in baseball and a very good one defensively also. He's in his early 30s. RJ is in his early 40s. RJ has one dominant season left in him. Posada has several. That's a horrible trade for NY and I'd be pissed if we ever even discussed doing that trade.

Seems like you Yankees fans aren't used to having to actually give up anything (besides money) for talent. I don't even see how you can justify NOT doing this trade. Posada is an above average, middle-aged catcher...while RJ is perhaps the most dominant starter in the league (who also happens to be left-handed).

COMPLETELY agree 100%

Yankee faNS get over yourselves. whats the old phrase? to get something good, you have to give up something good?

I don't even care how good the Yanks offense is and how much they are paying guys....FACE IT

Mussina is not been himself this year. and he is hurt
Brown is getting torched in AA and AAA rehab starts
Vazquez has not been performing up to what he is capable of
Contreras is about as reliable and unpredictable as ANYONE i have ever seen put on a major league cap and jersey
Lieber is horrible
there is no one afrer that

are brown, vaz, mosse, and contreras really scaring anyone in the playoffs?
NO

yanks need some pitching help not to win the east, but to win the world series

PITCHING WINS CHAMPIONIPS
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers