Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ for Posada? Discuss!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RJ for Posada? Discuss!

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:53 pm

Just heard on ESPN that the D'backs want Posada for RJ.

Discuss.

(if there is another thread on this here I didn't see it.)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:55 pm

This is a no-brainer if you're the Yankees....DO IT.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:55 pm

slomo007 wrote:This is a no-brainer if you're the Yankees....DO IT.

I disagree. Bad move for the Yankees.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:

How? Posada isn't exactly a Spring Chicken anymore...and we all know that catchers wear out as their careers go on.

RJ has at least 1 more dominant year left in him, and beyond that, who knows?

Assuming money isn't an issue (as it usually isn't for the Yankees), this is a fantastic trade for them.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:02 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

How? Posada isn't exactly a Spring Chicken anymore...and we all know that catchers wear out as their careers go on.

Assuming money isn't an issue (as it usually isn't for the Yankees), this is a fantastic trade for them.

No way. That's a horrible trade. Posada when at 100% is arguabley the best offensive catcher in baseball and a very good one defensively also. He's in his early 30s. RJ is in his early 40s. RJ has one dominant season left in him. Posada has several. That's a horrible trade for NY and I'd be pissed if we ever even discussed doing that trade.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:03 pm

It's a bigger issue than stats. Posada is a big part of that team. The Yankees have proved in the past that you can buy great teams that fail to win. You move Posada out of NY and you take a piece of that team's heart and soul. It's not like the Yankees don't have a pretty damn good team without R.J. Just my $.02.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby matmat » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:03 pm

Let me rephrase from a fantasy standpoint
rj's value obviously goes up.

posada's value? he'd move to a more hitter-friendly ballpark, but into a much weaker lineup.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:05 pm

The Yankees hold a $12 million team option for 2007 with a $4 million buyout, while Posada can void his contract after this season. Given the slowing growth of player contracts and Posada's attachment to winning, that has about as much chance of happening as the beatification of George Steinbrenner.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby cafe_58 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:It's a bigger issue than stats. Posada is a big part of that team. The Yankees have proved in the past that you can buy great teams that fail to win. You move Posada out of NY and you take a piece of that team's heart and soul. It's not like the Yankees don't have a pretty damn good team without R.J. Just my $.02.

I absolutely agree. This is a deal that the Yankees would lose and I would be very surprized if they pulled it. If they do this deal, they will lose a BIG piece of their team. Not just offensively or defensively, but the intangibles that Posada brings to the table and the history he has with them. I can't picture Posada in any other uniform.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:07 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

No way. That's a horrible trade. Posada when at 100% is arguabley the best offensive catcher in baseball and a very good one defensively also. He's in his early 30s. RJ is in his early 40s. RJ has one dominant season left in him. Posada has several. That's a horrible trade for NY and I'd be pissed if we ever even discussed doing that trade.

Seems like you Yankees fans aren't used to having to actually give up anything (besides money) for talent. I don't even see how you can justify NOT doing this trade. Posada is an above average, middle-aged catcher...while RJ is perhaps the most dominant starter in the league (who also happens to be left-handed).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers