Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ prefers Yanks! Maybe Clemens too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:08 am

I don't really want Clemens back. Let him rot in Houston. He could've come back to NY if he wanted but he decided to go with his buddy Andy and play with his hometown 'Stros. I'd take Andy back in a second but Clemens is a jerkoff for what he did.

I don't even want Randy that badly. Give me a decent young pitcher like Oliver Perez or something. Even Benson would be o.k. I guess. Let Randy go to Boston because it's sweeter to win when you're not the overwhelming favorites.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:13 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:I don't really want Clemens back. Let him rot in Houston. He could've come back to NY if he wanted but he decided to go with his buddy Andy and play with his hometown 'Stros. I'd take Andy back in a second but Clemens is a jerkoff for what he did.

I don't even want Randy that badly. Give me a decent young pitcher like Oliver Perez or something. Even Benson would be o.k. I guess. Let Randy go to Boston because it's sweeter to win when you're not the overwhelming favorites.

If there's one player the Pirates are likely to build around, it's Perez. You might get him in 2-3 years but I'd highly doubt he's going anywhere in the near future. Benson, on the other hand...
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby DMXdawg » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:30 am

Lol it's sweeter to win if you're not the overwhelming favorites? You have been the overwhelming favorites for about a decade now, I don't see how the yankees can ever be perceived as the underdog with that lineup.
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:35 am

People were still calling Boston and Chicago better teams pre-season. With Randy, Pedro, Schilling and Lowe in a short series, I don't know how you can't consider Boston the favorites, considering pitching wins championships.

And I do know what it's like to win when your not the favorites. We did it in 1996. That's why if you ask pretty much any Yankee fan, that's their favorite championship. We weren't expected to win, we defied the odds so to speak.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:38 am

nsulham wrote:Right, because the NY Daily News or the Post are fair, upstanding publications and aren't tabloid-ish in the least :-t

I've also heard Shonda Schilling is planning to sit right next to Mrs. Johnson at the AS game to try and get her to convince RJ to come to Boston.

All depends which side you're on to believe which side of the story.

You're absolutely right. Those papers aren't worth the paper they are written on.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby DMXdawg » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:42 am

After 1996 you guys were always the favorites. I don't know what others think but I think the Yankees are certainly the favorites over Boston or Chicago. The Yankees have the best set up man in Tom Gordon, Mo, the most dangerous lineup ever put together.
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:51 am

nsulham wrote:
What statements? I don't get NESN and this is the first I've heard of it. Is it about the supposed closed-door meeting with RJ and Garagiola? Other than that I'm stumped.

They reported that the Sox have permission to talk to RJ - yet Selig has been out of the office this week, and said he has not granted any permission to anyone. Same thing about the wives...

just trying to stir up some conversation here - I know the NY rags are as credible as our president, but fun to speculate anyway!

(like the new avatar?)
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:54 am

to be honest, I'd like to see Clemens go back to Boston, and RJ to the Yanks....imagine those staffs???

Johnson
Mussina
Brown
Vazquez
Contreras/Lieber/???

vs

Schilling
Pedro
Clemens
Wake
Lowe/Kim/Arroyo/???
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mr Last Place » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:58 am

a source familiar with Johnson's thinking

What exactly does this mean?
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:07 pm

Mr Last Place wrote:
a source familiar with Johnson's thinking

What exactly does this mean?

Ever see Being John Malcovich? ;-)
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers