Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Innings Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Innings Strategy

Postby whefner » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:02 am

In standard 5x5 roto, do you worry about exceeding your max innings pitching limit. Or if you have 6 quality starters and several closers do you keep running them out there and if you exceed your limit with a month to go or so, just assume that you got your max potential from the pitchers.

Then you could also maybe try to trade some of these top pitchers for some quality bats to push you over the top for the last month or so.

Has anyone tried this or do you try to stretch your pitching out across the season?
whefner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:14 am

My rule of thumb is to exceed max innings if I have truely good pitchers, but not if some half-ass bum is eating the extra innings. It alos guards against inevitable injuries and gives you flexibility to trade a pitcher at mid-season. It is not optimal, but it beats being way under in September and having to choose between using waiver wire pieces of crap that will kill WHIP and ERA or sacrificing potential wins and Ks.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:34 am

I stay right about on target. If I get too far over, I get selective about starts. Maxing out too early is a mistake and usually burns the owner who does it. You cannot move your starters and closers for fair price since everyone knows they are worthless to you. Best bet is to stay on target.

I've actually seen people who did not draft very good pitching fall way behind on innings, score good deals with the guys who burned up all their innings too early, and then made some quite impressive late charges towards the top at the end of the year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:19 pm

i never worried about it until the very end of last season, and now i do kind of worry about it.

last year i was first in a semi-priv8 5x5 roto league, and i was in first place by 2-3 points going into the last week of the season. then i ran out of innings, so my pitching staff became wholly stagnant.

that allowed me to drop a point or two in various stats like K or saves or wins (i forget what) and i ended up in 2nd place by like .5 to 1.5 points, which bugged the living feces out of me.

this season, in three leagues, i'm projected to be over in one league, and i've whittled it down from like 65+ to 45+, but right now i've been having an orgy of starts over the last 3-4 days with zambrano, oswalt, santana, and contreras today, hoping to get some ground in wins before i sit another starter. i'm up like 25 saves on 2nd place, so at some point i can cut free closers and save IP this way.

so in my chunk of the world, i mean, its feasible that if you have a ton of quality on your hands right now and you think you could get better value with those IP right now when teams havent given up yet, its worth a shot if you really feel inclined, otherwise, however, i'd try to save some wiggle room for the last week of the season so you dont end up a spectator to a slight demise, losing two points and consequently a league because you were busy starting people in may through july.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers