Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to Trade Kevin Brown???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to Trade Kevin Brown???

Postby Da Rook » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:55 pm

He has looked good in his two starts so far, so when is the right time to trade Kebin Brown (if at all)? And what do you look for in return (pitcher's names)?
If you Smell...what Da Rook...is Cookin'!!!
Da Rook
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:26 pm

No one yet knows what he's really worth yet. Potentially he could be a top 5 fantasy starting picther in the league, but he's only had one start. At the start of the season he drafted as a 5th starter in most leagues. Potentially he could be equal a Barry Zito, but we're going to need his first couple starts to find out. I say hold on to him and enjoy his success. If you definitely want to deal him, accept no less than say a Beckett, Maddux, Halladay.... in other words another star pitcher. Don't expect to get a superstar pitcher for him, no matter what he does this season.

I think he'll have one of those rare season where his stats exceed his trade value, like Alfonso Soriano did last year. No one expected him to put up those kind of numbers, and it wasn't until the end of the year did people value him as a top 10 fantasy player.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blahblah » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:33 pm

I wouldn't hold on to the guy much longer, see: Ken Griffey. Take advantage of his value as soon as you can by getting a healthy producer.
blahblah

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Decack » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:52 pm

Why would you trade him? You'd get no value in return, with his recent injury woes and nobody you'd get in the transaction could duplicate his numbers when healthy. I drafted Brown in the 14th round this year and will take every solid outing he gives me the rest of the way. If you trade him now, what happens if he actually stays healthy? You would get someone like Vicente Padilla at best(extreme optimism) in return and would watch K.B. put up top 5 or 6 numbers for somebody else?
She turned me into a newt...........................
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chicago » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:12 pm

wouldn't hold on to the guy much longer, see: Ken Griffey. Take advantage of his value as soon as you can by getting a healthy producer.

Blahblah, if he needs to be traded because he's Ken Griffey Jr. Part II, what is his current trade value then, and who should he go after? Personally, I don't think you'll get much of anything for him that merits trading him away. Just like Ken Griffey, his upside is way too high if he stays healthy.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:20 pm

Agreed with everyone on here. I would trade him in a heartbeat, but only if I got someone very valuable for him.

I'm not talking top 15 player, though. I'd say if you can get a top 30 player, you should consider it. If you can get someone who has little injury risk and will be a major help to your team, do it in a heartbeat.

Two more successful starts out of Brown and there will definitely be owners out there that believe he's legit for the rest of the year. If you deal him for a top 20 to 30 player that you can trust a heck of a lot more, like say Brian Giles, you are getting great value, considering how low you drafted him. Plus, you eliminate that worry.

It's like stocks. Don't get too greedy. If a 12th round pick can now get you a second rounder, you should lock in your gains. :-)
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -36)

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:24 pm

I got him off waivers(he picked Alfonseca up :-P ) for the number one priority before the season started , I'm going to ride KB till his arm falls off or someone gives me a Zito or a Pedro for him.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trippinonreality » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:34 pm

Guess you'll be riding him for a long time. Today he had a solid outing until he gave up the homerun but still 6 innings 5hits and 1 earned run is pretty damn good. If you feel lucky keep him but if not (which I wouldn't) shop him around until you get what you want. If you are lucky you will get some stat chasing sucker of a GM to give you semi fair value for him before he breaks down.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:13 pm

Search for interested buyers as soon as possible. I'd give him 2 or 3 more starts before urgently searching for good deals. He'll be a dominant pitcher whenever he plays, it's just that chances are against him playing more than 10 games before going down. TRADE HIM!
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby kcs261 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:22 pm

I've been debating this topic for the last couple of weeks. It's good to see people onboard the KB train. As I told others, I drafted KB in Round 15. Absent a great deal where I get a top 15 SP (not top 30), I'm going to keep riding him. I drafted 5 other SPs in front of him, so KB is my #6. But with his boom value, he could realistically be my #2 SP all year long. So I'm not dealing him for garbage like Padilla. No way. Booms like these are what make your season. Further. comparing KB to Griffey is not really fair. He had a bad couple of seasons. But has otherwise been a healthy player in his career. And unlike hitters who often fade in their mid-to-late 30s, pitchers like RJ, Clemens, Moyer, and even C. Finley prove that pitchers can keep chugging into their 40s.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers