Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:38 am

They booed Maddux?! What's wrong with those fans, are they Satan? How dare they boo Maddux? Man that's like the Red Sox nation booing Ted Williams or something. We should fly a chopper over turner field and release a fine mist of pepper spray. "Boooo hach ooo AAAAh!"
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amnorix » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:44 am

Players should not steal bases when up by 9 runs. Sorry. :-D

Fantasy players should avoid excessive overlap when drafting multiple teams. One injury could doom your season in multiple leagues. I'm not saying kill yourself to avoid it -- obviously if a player slips too much or whatever, then take full advantage. Usually, however, all else being equal you tend to have a number of reasonable choices with a selection. Why guarantee a miserable year in more than one league if one guy gets hurt or has a lousy year?

Maddux will most likely bounce back. He's the type of player who is much more likely to fade away than fall off a cliff like he has. That said, the Braves are not as good as in past year, so his W's may slip. His peripherals should recover, however.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:33 am

I agree with Amnorix about Maddux fading away. He is too good to go so bad and stay that way. He will adjust and be more effective. As for avoiding overlap I agree that you should try to avoid extreme overlap because you'll have a hard time just trying to make all your teams different. Avoiding overlap is similar to playing chess against yourself. You can't become a different person that thinks differently when tending to one team from when you were just tending to your other. You like who you like. You can't maintain a different team as if you are a different person that likes different players than yourself when you were maintaining your other team 5 minutes ago. Slightly redundant but valid.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:36 pm

Josh wrote:I agree with you jack in the box, from what I have seen on television, Atlanta fans do suck. They hardly ever sell out anymore. The braves are just taken for granted now, and the only time they can get anything out of the fans at all it is negative. I remember when the braves started to be good, and that place was a rocking. The fans are a disgrace now.

Sellout?? Whats that? Braves a no.1 team for 11years straight and sellouts are coming few and far between. I can see why people dont go the Hawks or something.. Hawks are just plain boring. But the Braves? C'mon now.. i guess if the Braves played more like the Tigers we'd like em more then? Doubt it so why not show up now
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:20 pm

I don't understand why you guys are complaining about the braves not selling out. The truth is that it's not a winning team alone that sells tickets. It's drama. It's suspense. It's marketing of the team larger than life. It's player likeability (See Nomar Garciaparra). In short it's anything non complacent that sells seats. Yes the braves win but they have become the most complacent and boring winners that exist. The Yankees have avoided this by injecting new exciting faces each year. Not that it matters because they will sell out no matter what. The braves are getting old. They have the feel of the Utah Jazz. They're good but just need a new beginning to start drawing fans again. I hate to say it but business wise it makes sense to have your team win and lose in cycles. Winning or losing year after year after year causes the fans to take your condition for granted. Maybe the braves need a couple losing seasons to let the fans know how lucky they have been. Maybe Ted Turner needs to get his old wife back to sit in the seats with her like a statue and market the team just by attending. Somebody shoot the drum guy in center field. He's an old horse.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:08 am

1st off Chiggdy- Ted Turner doesnt run the Braves anymore. Turner has nothing to do with the Braves anymore. 2nd The Braves basically have a new pitching staff..starting and bullpen. Only 2 big names that remain are Smoltz,Maddux. SO they did go out and bring in new faces to try and spice things up. Not that they would have, had AOL/TimeWarner told them to cut the payroll cause you can bet they wouldnt have traded Millwood for that trash. They got Sheff last year.. thats huge. To say that the Yanks aviod becoming boring winners by injecting new faces and the braves dont doesnt makes sense. Name a better OF threesome than the braves. The team is not BORING as you would put it. Just most Atl fans arent fans. They're bandwagon fans. Team struggles and they dont attend. And when they do attend they boo Maddux?? BOO TO THEM! :-t

You said it right.. Atl fans take winning for granted. I almost hope the Braves do lose this year.. and maybe next year too to get ppl to appreciate what they have.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:10 am

1st off Chiggdy- Ted Turner doesnt run the Braves anymore. Turner has nothing to do with the Braves anymore. 2nd The Braves basically have a new pitching staff..starting and bullpen. Only 2 big names that remain are Smoltz,Maddux. SO they did go out and bring in new faces to try and spice things up. Not that they would have, had AOL/TimeWarner told them to cut the payroll cause you can bet they wouldnt have traded Millwood for that trash. They got Sheff last year.. thats huge. To say that the Yanks aviod becoming boring winners by injecting new faces and the braves dont doesnt makes sense. Name a better OF threesome than the braves. The team is not BORING as you would put it. Just most Atl fans arent fans. They're bandwagon fans. Team struggles and they dont attend. And when they do attend they boo Maddux?? BOO TO THEM! :-t

You said it right.. Atl fans take winning for granted. I almost hope the Braves do lose this year.. and maybe next year too to get ppl to appreciate what they have.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:48 am

You know, the Celtics only changed a few of the "supporting cast members" during their 80s glory years, and yet somehow I kept watching. Seemed to me that the pleasure of just see great players do their thing should be more than enough to get you to go.

Long-suffering Braves fans clearly forgot just how bad their team was. When the great stars are all gone and Cox is gone, then they'll learn that they should have appreciated what they had when they had it. Dynasties are few and far between in sports, and Atlanta is nearing the end of theirs now.

Besides, Sheffield was a major acquisition 2-3 years ago, and it didn't seem to help any.
Amnorix

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Swing for the fences » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:18 am

I'm a long time Braves fan and was at the last game that Maddux pitched. I completely disagree with you Jack-in-a-Box. You say that the Braves brought in new blood but who did we really get?

Hampton - hasn't pitched an inning yet and had a terrible spring
Byrd - also hasn't pitched an inning yet
Hernandez - sucks
Fick - the most exciting .275 15 75 free agent available - lol
Ortiz - good pick up

But a closer look at this list shows that the Braves only got pitching help. Yes, pitching. Pitching, pitching, pitching - will it ever change? One World Championship in 10+ years of winning teams should tell you that your strategy is flawed Shuerholtz. Clearly, he doesn't care though.

Maddux shouldn't be getting $17 million - whats that? - 1.2 per win. That and Bobby Cox's boring style of baseball need to go.

Atlanta has good fans and has been at the top in attendance for a few years. People like you and Linda Cohn give Atlanta sports fans a bad name.

It looks like another year of losing in the playoffs AGAIN. I'd rather not make the playoffs than suffer through the same old misery again.
Swing hard, just in case you hit the ball.
Swing for the fences
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am

Swing for the Fences: Would you rather be a baseball fan in Kansas City, Tampa Bay or Montreal, to name a few cities where getting to the playoffs itself would be a miracle?
Amnorix

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers