Return to General Talk

Yankee Haters!!! Help!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yankee Haters!!! Help!!!

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 1:58 pm

Tavish wrote:
denvermax wrote: If anyone has anything anti-yankee, please share it. Any pictures, sites, articles, jokes, etc. would be a great help! Thanks!

They bribed the umpires to screw George Brett in 1983 (no literal readings please).

I would be bitter, but we got even by allowing them to sign Danny Tartabull.

I would be more serious about the question, but it would most likely be easier to Google for "Yankees competitive balance".

That's cool. While he's at it, he can do a Google search for teams that put revenue sharing $$ into their pockets rather than their teams. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yankee Haters!!! Help!!!

Postby Tavish » Fri May 28, 2004 2:22 pm

Lofunzo wrote:That's cool. While he's at it, he can do a Google search for teams that put revenue sharing $$ into their pockets rather than their teams. :-?

Any examples you want to share? While I know King George likes to occasionally rumble about this ( I probably would gripe as well if I were in his position ) but he is only taking things at face value in appeals for pity. A team's major league club payroll != a team's expenditures.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 28, 2004 2:22 pm

Baseball is a business! Its to make money!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 2:34 pm

What I'm saying is that what George does is do whatever it takes to try to field a winner. He also does it within the rules set forth by MLB. If other teams such as the Royals, Brewers, Pirates, etc. would sign any players, then the Yankees wouldn't be able to get as many. I can count on 1 hand how many teams are really active in the FA market. If a team can't compete, then they should either get an owner who can or move to a better area. There are a bunch of teams that get a fat check from George (and other teams) and little, if any, of that money goes into their teams.

KC isn't the worst but they got a check for $19M and put around 37% of that into their team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 28, 2004 2:58 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I can count on 1 hand how many teams are really active in the FA market.

The Tigers! ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Fri May 28, 2004 3:10 pm

What I'm saying is that what George does is do whatever it takes to try to field a winner.

I don't think there is a single owner that doesn't want to win. Saying George does whatever it takes to win I think is also misleading. He still maintains a budget that keeps the Yankess profitable. To claim that owners who lose money building a team on less than $50 million care less about winning than a team that spends more than $150 million and makes a profit seems unreasonable to me.

He also does it within the rules set forth by MLB.

Yes he does, and it is those rules that need to be changed. The way that baseball's heirarchy is setup it seems very unlikely that they will ever design a true league-wide broadcast system to help evenly distribute money. The player's union is strong enough to fight off any meaningful salary cap. Revenue sharing isn't much but it is better than nothing.

If other teams such as the Royals, Brewers, Pirates, etc. would sign any players, then the Yankees wouldn't be able to get as many. I can count on 1 hand how many teams are really active in the FA market.

This was the main point I was trying to address last post. Small market teams have dealt with the competitve imbalance long enough to know their limitations. Signing a big time free agent doesn't help a team, you need three or four to make a major difference and there just simply isn't the money to make this a viable option. Instead small market teams have to do things in the fashion that the Marlins, Twins and other small market successes do. They spend a great deal of resources in prospects and scouting in an attempt to build up enough talent to create a one or two year window of oppurtunity.
When the revenue sharing goes to pay signing bonuses for top picks ( Greinke, Weeks, Upton) that money never shows on the team payroll so it is easy to say the owners are simply pocketing the money. It just isn't the case though.
If a team can't compete, then they should either get an owner who can or move to a better area.

They should just contract it to the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, and Red Sox. Then noone could complain except for the Dodgers who have to fly cross country so much..
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 28, 2004 3:22 pm

Tavish wrote:They should just contract it to the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, and Red Sox. Then noone could complain except for the Dodgers who have to fly cross country so much..

BTW - how many World Series between these Super Teams are there since 1970?

7... in 34yrs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 3:30 pm

My main point is to hate the game and not the player. I also disagree that every owner wants to win. Maybe they'd prefer to but many of them just care about the bottom line. If they win as well, then so be it. I dpn't want to harp on teams like the Royals but they had a good year last year and picked up a piece here or there to try to make a run. Now, less than a year later, if they fall out of it completely, they will do a rebuild. That just irks me. Can that much change in a year??
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 3:36 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Tavish wrote:They should just contract it to the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, and Red Sox. Then noone could complain except for the Dodgers who have to fly cross country so much..

7... in 34yrs.

You might want to check your figures. I count 9. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby Tavish » Fri May 28, 2004 4:03 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

7... in 34yrs.

From 1995-2001
Top third payroll teams
Average record 90-72
Made the playoffs 61% of the time
Finished in the top 10 in wins 61% of the time

Middle third in payroll
Average record 80-82
Made the playoffs 14% of the time
Finished in the top 10 in wins 27%

Bottom third in payroll
Average record 73-89
Made the playoffs 5% of the time
Finished in the top 10 in wins 8% of the time

My main point is to hate the game and not the player.

You are absolutely correct, and I don't hate George. I enjoy watching the Yankees and are the highlight of the visiting teams I see in KC. I'm not jealous, I'm not bitter, I just get frustrated when people say George is a win at all cost guy and that the small market teams don't seem to care.

Money can make up for bad choices in many cases. The Royals and Brewers have had the wonderful distinction of being teams without good baseball sense as well as the lack of money to cover it up. The side-effect is when you make a bad choice as a small market team it can basically destroy your team ( this seasons bad choices will cost us Beltran and most likely a Randa-type player).
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk