Return to General Talk

Presidential Election of F.B.C.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun May 23, 2004 10:00 pm

Madison wrote:3. Make the death penalty legal in all 50 states and quicken the time involved to get the convicted executed. No more living on the taxpayer's dime for 25 years before finally being executed.

I respect your opinion, but I did a report 3-4 years ago that showed how many people are freed from the death penalty before their execution b/c of new evidence that shows their innocence or guilt, but in a lesser degree. I also wish ACTUAL criminals were processed immediately, but our court system is still not perfect. Too bad we don't have a truth drug...
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Sun May 23, 2004 11:27 pm

Liberty30 wrote:
2. Addressing Foreign Policy Concerns
Such as: (1.) Encouring our European allies to extend an EU membership to Turkey, giving a Muslim voice to the EU and providing an example to the rest of the Muslim world that if they take steps to democracy and freedom that they will be rewarded,

;-D ;-D ;-D

Turkey will never be given admission into the EU for one simple reason. The EU, U.N. and International Red Cross all have come to the conclusion that they have the single worst human rights violations of any country on the face of the planet. The United States continues to rave on and on about Afghanistan and Iraq and their human rights abuse records as reasons to 'liberate' them while turning a cheek to the much worse records of abuse in Turkey. However the E.U. will not and outside of Turkey there is no Muslim country which could try to pass itself off as a member of Europe to get a Muslim voice in. Which leaves the Muslim community left out of the E.U., which, no offense to Muslims, is how it should be considering there are no official Muslim countries in Europe proper. The closest to a Muslim country you could find in Europe is Greece, which has a 97% Greek Orthodox population.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Liberty30 » Sun May 23, 2004 11:46 pm

Melo255 wrote: The closest to a Muslim country you could find in Europe is Greece, which has a 97% Greek Orthodox population.

I believe you are forgetting Albania (70% Muslim), Bosnia (40% Muslim), Serbia (20%), and Bulgaria (11%).

All four are very European, and very Muslim.
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Melo255 » Mon May 24, 2004 12:03 am

Liberty30 wrote:
Melo255 wrote: The closest to a Muslim country you could find in Europe is Greece, which has a 97% Greek Orthodox population.

I believe you are forgetting Albania (70% Muslim), Bosnia (40% Muslim), Serbia (20%), and Bulgaria (11%).

My point was simply that Turkey will not get in. My only complaint is about what you said originally about allowing Turkey to become part of E.U. to provide an example to the rest of the Muslim world. I don't think examples should involve Europe seeing how few Muslims actually live in Europe. I think the idea would be better suited some other way outside the almost entirely Christian realm of Europe and inside the Middle East. How? No idea. I just don't agree with the E.U. being used to increase diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Muslim countries. Good figures btw.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby wkelly91 » Mon May 24, 2004 7:09 am

Good stuff people. Yet 83 have looked and only 13 have stepped to the Presidencial podium.

Step up and make your voice heard B-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon May 24, 2004 11:01 am

1. Along the same lines as AA - Fight the corruption of our public servants. Every single elected person in Washington has some kind of special interest group, or industry lobby funding their campaigns and sometimes their pocketbooks. These people care about their constituents as long as doing so doesnt interfere with the demands of their true financial backers. I know this is an exageration, but I want public servants completely isolated except for a direct communication line from their own constituents. The objective is to make sure our elected officials have one interest in mind when on the job: what is best for the people who elected me.

2. Revamp our health care system. Obviously the status quo is a wreck. Costs are soaring and there has never been as many uninsured/uncovered people in our society. I believe this is such a huge problem and complicated issue that drastic measures must be taken. Tort and litigation reform is necessary - the costs of insurance on both sides - patient and professional - is simply irrational at this point. The difficulties most people have in understanding their coverage is incredible too - you basically have too many "networks" and other hoops to jump through to understand even basic coverage. When insurance companies deny requests for coverage of procedures or medications that could help a patient, you have to ask what our healthcare system is for - the best healthcare or the cheapest?

3. Education reform. The entire system is built on an inequality. Education taxes are taken out of property taxes. Can anyone see why this might bring about an uneven system? The areas that pay high property taxes (high wealth, affluent areas) pay more in taxes to support their local schools. Therefore - our education system was built on the premise that the rich get richer, and that premise continues to this day. How can schools in poor communities hope to give an equal education when they cant buy new books, let alone a new multimedia approach that rural, high wealth areas are using?
There are 3 major things to consider:
A. In 2000 our government spent almost $373 billion to fund PreK through 12th. The problem with spending more? There is no evidence that simply increasing spending improves education.
B. Serious studies of major federal education programs either do not exist or suggest that the programs are unsuccessful.
C. Innovation and improvement come from states and localities, not from Washington.
3 steps Washington could take:
A. Unleash the states to innovate in education.
B. Require full evaluations of all federal education programs and end failing programs.
C. Give parents the opportunity to invest in their children's education.

So - my 3 issues I want to address are campaign finance reform, healthcare reform, and education reform.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Liberty30 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:17 pm

Melo255 wrote:
Liberty30 wrote:

My point was simply that Turkey will not get in. My only complaint is about what you said originally about allowing Turkey to become part of E.U. to provide an example to the rest of the Muslim world. I don't think examples should involve Europe seeing how few Muslims actually live in Europe. I think the idea would be better suited some other way outside the almost entirely Christian realm of Europe and inside the Middle East. How? No idea. I just don't agree with the E.U. being used to increase diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Muslim countries. Good figures btw.

I understand where you are coming from. Turkey is truly a tricky situation. I feel that as a member of the EU perhaps Turkey could serve as an example to moderates in Islamic countries that by reforming their governments (and let's be honest, that is the only way the war on terror will be a success) they will be accepted into the world community. I feel that ostracizing a moderate Islamic nation, such as Turkey, does not aid the causes of reformers in other nations.
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon May 24, 2004 1:59 pm

Not sure I'd call a nation that's been in NATO for 50 years ostracized... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby Liberty30 » Mon May 24, 2004 2:59 pm

Arlo wrote:Not sure I'd call a nation that's been in NATO for 50 years ostracized... :-)

Nor would I. Sorry about that. :-) Let me clarify that a little. Ostracized from the *EU* ;-D
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 28, 2004 2:54 pm

If I were President:

1. Disarm our country. Hand guns, assault weapons, Nukes! It would make a great impression
2. Use war money for education and health care.
3. Repair our extrememly damaged foreign policy by pulling out of Iraw and concentrating on our own business ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk