Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Affeldt now the closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Fri May 21, 2004 11:29 pm

kcbelieves wrote:Have some faith...are you a true fan or fairweather?

Well, I didn't really want to get too far into it (was going to save it for a rant on the team page) but, the fairweather question will always draw me out.

First off, maybe the Royal's management knows exactly what they are doing and have a grand plan involved. Until they prove they do I will continue to be critical of decisions that do not make much sense. This team entered the season on inflated hopes brought on by a 16-3 start last year. Hell, I bought into the hype of a this being a contending team not really looking at the realistic view. This team is not that good. A pitching staff consisting of marginal #3 and #4 starters should have clued us all in that it will be difficult season.

But the biggest hope was that they would catch lightning in a bottle and contend while we still had our most valuable offensive and defensive player patroling center. But unfortunately the Tigers and Indians (which was a great deal of our victories during the 16-3 start last year) are improved. Injuries, underacheivement, and no team chemistry should have woken the club and realize that it is time to think about the future.

The brightest hope to the future was that we had young arms that were going to improve and perhaps create a Mid-West version of the Big Three in Oakland. Greinke, Affeldt, and Gobble with a little bit of seasoning could form the basis of what has been missing in KC since the Appier, Cone, Gordon rotation.

Bringing up Greinke on Reggie Jackson day against a sold out Coliseum and facing Zito is a recipe for disaster. It is a rush that is both ill timed and unneeded.

Moving Affeldt to the closer role when
1) Save chances have been few and far between. Will having Reyes start strengthen the club?
2) A combination of Field / Huisman / whoever was hot had been effective enough. Why take an ace you are grooming for the future out of the rotation?
3) They immediately say it is not a permanent move. Unless there is some sort of injury to Affeldt that would shorten his availablity then this makes no sense at all.

The only reason I can possibly come up with is that they still are hanging onto the false hype of the preseason and are trying to squeeze contention out before the Beltran Clock counts down to zero and they are truly in a rebuilding mode. Being critical has nothing to do with being fairweather. I have a passion to see this team win, when they make so many questionable choices within such a small amount of time my eyes get real wide.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Here is the link

Postby vpadilla » Sat May 22, 2004 12:16 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1806572

But how is he going to get saves if the starters don't hold the lead or gets bombed?
vpadilla
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thehat » Sat May 22, 2004 12:26 am

Hats off to kcbelieves for helping everyone get the jump on this one....including me. Just grabbed Affeldt and dropped Field in two leagues.

As for whether this is a good move or not for the Royals...I have been saying all along that Affeldt is a closer and not a starter. I don't like his approach for starting as he just seems to me to be too intense to maintain that level for lengthy appearances. He's also a two-pitch pitcher and that's pretty much it. His other stuff is below average.

My opinion is he's the best closer in the organization, that he'll ecel in this role, and that MacDougald will get traded if he gets his act together at AAA.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby jebatzel » Sat May 22, 2004 12:47 am

should I drop J. Valverde for him?

I am in a 12 team league head to head 5x5 scoring

Herges and Rhodes are my other closers

Mantei on my DL spot.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby godallahstar » Sat May 22, 2004 1:01 am

yeah, definitely drop jose valverde for affeldt.

no question.

:-D
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 22, 2004 1:03 am

Valverde's job is at least as solid as Herges and Rhodes ... and he's a better pitcher. Maneti is now talking about becoming a starter (go figure).

All 3 of these guys have decent job security. Affeldt has the least, from the tone of the news articles. I'd hang on to your 3, & pass on Affeldt. One man's opinion ....
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:04 am

godallahstar wrote:yeah, definitely drop jose valverde for affeldt.

no question.

:-D

I don't think that answer is a gimme. A couple weeks ago, Valverde was the cafe flavor of the week, why is Affeldt any different? Arizona has produced more save opps than Kansas City so far. Arizona also has MUCH better starting pitching also, so I would probably rather have Valverde. I think he'll hang on to the job, but that's just my opinion.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby jebatzel » Sat May 22, 2004 1:05 am

valverde does only have 2 saves so far.

why do you think he will be better?

I could drop a starter

Jeff Weaver, Wakefeild, or Rich Harden?
Last edited by jebatzel on Sat May 22, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:06 am

Since MacDougal was optioned to the minors, there have been a whopping 2 save opps in Kansas City. With the SP in shambles, I would steer clear.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby amich1 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:07 am

just got a cheap save w/ T.Worrell tonight & dropped him for affeldt. Muchos Gracias ;-D
J.Lo? I knew her back when they said "Hey, ho".
amich1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers