Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contreras to be called up...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lardon » Wed May 19, 2004 11:01 am

Should Contreras be started on Saturday when he pitches or wait to see how he pitches.
Lardon
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 am

pilambp wrote:I can see it now... a BK Kim for Jose Contreras deal to rid both teams of their respective cancers.

interesting...... :-?
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Area51's » Wed May 19, 2004 1:17 pm

I will err on the side of caution here; both with picking him up in the 2 leagues I dropped him, AND starting him should I ever pick him back up again. If any owner in either league that he's available has more faith (and more roster room) than I do, then they should be delighted if he blows up (in a good way).

He will have to really impress for me to grab him after just one start, even in Texas, and he'll have to put together at least 3 great starts before I'd give him active roster status.

If someone beats me to it, so be it.......not a guy I'd over-commit to.

Did that just sound like a girl? Aw crap :-o
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Wed May 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Darn, I was hoping he would have a start here against our AAA team (Norfolk Tides) and I'd get to see it.

If he can't ultimately sort himself out then he may be a useful mid-reliever or closer. He seems to do fine in short stretches.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 1:44 pm

I picked him up in my 12-team league but will have him parked on the bench in arlington this weekend....I had a couple of marginal starters like chris carpenter who were expendable, so I figured it was worth grabbing him now rather than waiting in case he is throwing well again.....
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 19, 2004 3:08 pm

I can see it now... a BK Kim for Jose Contreras deal to rid both teams of their respective cancers.

Great idea ... Contreras would never have to pitch against the Sox again. He has about a 20.00+ ERA vs. them.

I'm bitter. I had Jose. I hope and pray that some of the guys at the top of our league pick him up and let him ruin their ERA and WHIP as well. I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole. [/quote]
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Wed May 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Contreras (with the help of his buddies Rocky Biddle and Matt Riley) put me in a giant ERA and WHIP hole. Still stuck in 2nd to last place. It'll take me to at least the All-Star Break to dig out of this mess.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Wed May 19, 2004 4:14 pm

He was fine last year as a starter actually, and struggled in relief. I think he's worth a pickup if you have someone crappy to drop.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers