Return to Baseball Leftovers

will oswalt get suspended?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jpbusta » Tue May 11, 2004 1:15 am

WhiteHot wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:More confrontational? Wood argued balls and strikes, and never laid a hand on the umpire. Oswalt tried to hit the umpire with a gum container. How is that less confrontational.

Talk about biased. He just "argued balls and strikes"? If I remember correctly, he ran full steam at the ump, jaw to jaw, barking like a madman and using the most profane language our vernacular allows.

We don't know who Oswalt tried to hit or even if he tried to strike anyone with it. But a 6'5" 225+ pounder running at you, in your face, screaming is pretty darn confrontational in my book.

Roy oswalt is 6 feet and 185 pounds. :*)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby osb » Tue May 11, 2004 1:19 am

it shouldn't matter regardless... pitchers get 5 game suspensions because they work every fifth day, so at worst his scheduled start gets pushed back a day... after an appeal of course...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 11, 2004 1:43 am

jpbusta wrote:
WhiteHot wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:More confrontational? Wood argued balls and strikes, and never laid a hand on the umpire. Oswalt tried to hit the umpire with a gum container. How is that less confrontational.

Talk about biased. He just "argued balls and strikes"? If I remember correctly, he ran full steam at the ump, jaw to jaw, barking like a madman and using the most profane language our vernacular allows.

We don't know who Oswalt tried to hit or even if he tried to strike anyone with it. But a 6'5" 225+ pounder running at you, in your face, screaming is pretty darn confrontational in my book.

If you see what he wrote, he was referring to Wood and not Oswalt. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby jpbusta » Tue May 11, 2004 1:44 am

Lofunzo wrote:
jpbusta wrote:
WhiteHot wrote:

If you see what he wrote, he was referring to Wood and not Oswalt. ;-)

Oh my bad. I only read the last paragraph. :*)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Tue May 11, 2004 1:49 am

Wood got right into the umpire's face and had to be restrained from physically attacking him. Oswalt just threw something onto the field and yes it almost hit the Braves coach, but let's be realistic. When Pedro powerbombed Don Zimmer in the ALCS last year, he didn't even get ejected, so I hardly think throwing something onto the field is worse than that. Roberto Alomar only got 5 games for spitting at an umpire years ago.

The worst case scenario is he gets a 5 game suspension, and for a starting pitcher, that's no big deal because he will appeal the suspension, and just drop it and start serving it the day after he starts, and then his start would just get pushed back a day. No big deal whatsoever for the Astros or for fantasy owners.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Tue May 11, 2004 5:17 am

Let's shift the blame -- it is the umps fault.

1) that ump had a totally inconsistant strike zone
2) he jawed at the pitcher the moment the latter seemed annoyed at the call... even took off his mask if I recall correctly

I think umps should be told to basically ignore any emotions shown by pitchers and should be told not to even speak to them or at them. They should only talk to the managers and, possibly, the team captain.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue May 11, 2004 7:04 am

well as bad as wood and oswalts blowups where, they were nothing compared to Dusty Baker after they said a player batted out of order because the umps didnt do the double switch correctly. Dusty threw his hat, kicked some bats, picked his hat up, threw it again, then kicked dirt all over the plate. Oh and Pedro wasnt ejected b/c it was self defense. If you watched it, Don Zimmer came after Pedro :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Madison » Tue May 11, 2004 11:08 am

jdh wrote:When Pedro powerbombed Don Zimmer in the ALCS last year,

Powerbombed? Obviously not a wrestling fan. Lol. :-b Zimmer swung at Pedro and lost his balance. The push from Pedro didn't help any, but it was clearly Zimmer's fault. !+)

Anyway, I doubt that Oswalt gets suspended. Even if he does, he will just get pushed back a day. Not a huge problem.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby planet » Tue May 11, 2004 11:54 am

i've got my fingers crossed for a lifetime ban
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers