Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Everyone else WAIVED Maneti?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has Everyone else WAIVED Maneti?

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 05, 2004 5:49 am

I have Mantei and was lucky enough to pick up Valverde right after his latest implosion ... but I just can't bring myself to actually waiving Mantei even after Valverde's superb showing last night. I sure could use the roster spot, however.

What has everyone else done?

If I waive him and he comes back as closer soon then I want to suffer with others -- not alone. Misery love company. :-)

Anyone else in this support group?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Wed May 05, 2004 5:57 am

in all my leagues valverde already was or now is on someone's roster. Mantei only got dropped in one (of five) of the leagues. It is possible that this is a temporary move.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby swingaway » Wed May 05, 2004 7:15 am

manteis days as a d-back are numbered he is going to be traded by the end of the year i can almost guarntee that probably to baltimore for one of the 2ndbaseman the they deal the 2nd baseman they get to the phils for bret myers. That trade would make sense but i doubt it would happen in real life.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 05, 2004 8:02 am

Why would the O's want Mantei when Julio is better? I had Mantei, and I dumped him. Hes total garbage.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed May 05, 2004 9:38 am

I have not waived Mantei. Call me stubborn, but I see him getting the job back.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby Rkiivs » Wed May 05, 2004 10:00 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I have not waived Mantei. Call me stubborn, but I see him getting the job back.

Trans-man, you're stubborn.

Though, you could be right. It's really wasting their investment not to use him and this could just be a cooling off period to get pressure off him for a bit.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)

Postby mightyian5 » Wed May 05, 2004 10:03 am

i dont know if hell get it back. ever since last year, there has been talk of mantei getting trades, and valverde being the closer from now on. mantei could find himself delt in the coming months to contending teams like the braves, marlins, white sox or possibly the rangers. with him gone, valverde will be unchallenged in the closer role.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rohan » Wed May 05, 2004 10:54 am

I think he'll get the job back. He'll come in as a middle reliever a time or two and get a saved opp. the d-backs will work on his mechanics. He's being paid 7 million bucks this year and you can't trade a guy that's pretty much wortless. They will showcase his talent if a trade is in the works, making him the closer once again.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed May 05, 2004 11:27 am

mightyian5 wrote:i dont know if hell get it back. ever since last year, there has been talk of mantei getting trades, and valverde being the closer from now on. mantei could find himself delt in the coming months to contending teams like the braves, marlins, white sox or possibly the rangers. with him gone, valverde will be unchallenged in the closer role.

Not a chance in the world of him coming to Texas. The Rangers are very pleased with Cordero and the ball is his this year. They have said that many, many times. Plus we don't want or need that 7 million dollar contract.

Personally, I have not cut Mantei. He's pitched a whopping 8.1 innings this year. Way too little to judge his entire season by.

I believe that one of two things will happen. Either he gets the job back ($7 million for a middle reliever? I think not.) or he gets traded to a team needing a closer (again, no set up work. Who can pay $7 million for a middle reliever other than the Yankees?).

With that said, I'll continue to hang onto him and also be picking him up in any of my leagues where he is dropped. So far, he has not been dropped in any of my leagues, but I'll be keeping my eyes open. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Teddy K.G.B. » Wed May 05, 2004 11:36 am

I ditched him.. I don't have a deep enough bench to keep a player with a 12.00 ERA who has lost his closer job after giving up 5 bombs in 8.1 innings as a closer.
Teddy K.G.B.
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers