Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First auction draft done-What do I need to improve? (Keeper)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First auction draft done-What do I need to improve? (Keeper)

Postby KleShreen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello all -

So this is my first year in this keeper league. Here are the details. It is the first time I've ever done an auction draft, and I thought it was pretty fun. But I think I made some mistakes being a rookie auction draft person. I ended up with 19 dollars left over and there were a lot of guys who I sat out on just because I thought they were 1 or 2 dollars over their value that I think I could have afforded to take and built a better team, but I guess we'll see how that turns out. I'm hoping to just get some input on where you guys think I might have made some mistakes and what kind of strategy I should try and use next season. I went in to the draft thinking that I wanted the best hitter and pitcher available, which I think I got, and then trying to pick wisely after that among who I thought would be "best" at the budget prices. So that's why I have a couple guys for big bucks, and then a whole lot of players at less than $5. I don't know if I might have been better off instead being more balanced, with 10ish guys at $15 a piece with a couple higher?

I didn't really pay attention to the contract rules, which are just 3 years for every player except for a single draft pick who can be 5 years, as long as he has never played in MLB and makes his debut during the year you drafted him. With only eight keepers, I don't think it is worth it worrying about youth unless it is extreme youth, like Whitley/Luzardo/Paddack who I ended up taking. And that's why I didn't take guys who might not make their debuts this year like Joey Bart, who I am very, very high on. He would be a big dollar guy for me for next year's draft as long as nobody picks him up this year and he doesn't make his debut.

Anywhere, here are the details of the league for anyone who wants to give me some advice on how it went.

- Rotisserie League
- Auction Draft
- Hitting categories: Runs, Home Runs, RBIs, BA, OPS, SBs
- Pitching categories: Quality Starts, Holds, Saves, Ks, ERA, WHIP.

C-1B-2B-3B-SS-MI-CI-OF-OF-OF-OF-OF-UTIL-UTIL-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-BN-BN-BN-BN-DLDL

- Keep up to 8 players.
- There are no salary increases for kept players. Their salary will remain as either their drafted
salary or their winning FAAB bid.
- Players (drafted and picked up off of waivers) will have 3-year contracts. That means a player
acquired in 2016 can be kept -- at most -- through 2018.
- When a player is dropped, their contractual clock and salary restarts.
-Trading a player does not reset their contract clock

Starting with players drafted in the 2019 draft- a team may designate one of their eight keeper
contracts as a rookie dynasty contract. This player MUST make their MLB debut during the
season they are drafted. This player can be kept up to five consecutive years as opposed to
the normal three. Only one dynasty contract is allowed per roster. Players on rookie dynasty
contracts MUST be drafted or acquired by trade from a team that drafted them.

So that's the details. Here is how the draft went...

Total draft budget was 260. I kept the following:

Zach Greinke ($11 - final year 2019)
Cody Bellinger ($6 - final year 2019)
Max Muncy ($2 - final year 2020)
Joey Gallo ($11 - final year 2020)
Yasmani Grandal ($2 - final year 2020)
Jed Lowrie ($4 - final year 2020)
Jeremy Jeffress ($1 - final year 2020)
Colin McHugh ($1 - final year 2020)

Which gave me a draft budget of $222 out of the possible $260.

And here is how the draft worked out for me:

Mookie Betts - $50
Jacob deGrom - $49
Alex Bregman - $32
Matt Carpenter - $17
Jonathan Villar - $12
Andrew McCutchen - $8
Cesar Hernandez - $2
Jose Peraza - $2
Archie Bradley - $2
Sean Newcomb - $3
Ryan Braun - $3
Kenta Maeda - $2
Matt Barnes - $3
Austin Meadows - $2
C.J. Cron - $3
Chris Paddack - $4 (5 year dynasty contract possibility)
Kevin Gausman - $2
Forrest Whitley - $5 (5 year dynasty contract possibility)
Ryan McMahon - $1
Jesus Luzardo - $1 (5 year dynasty contract possibility)

Which left me with 19 dollars leftover.

So that gives me the following roster:

C - Yasmani Grandal (Will add a different catcher at some point)
1B - Max Muncy
2B - Jed Lowrie
3B - Alex Bregman
SS - Jonathan Villar
CI - Joey Gallo
MI - Matt Carpenter
OF - Cody Bellinger
OF - Mookie Betts
OF - Andrew McCutchen
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Austin Meadows
Util - Cesar Hernandez
Util - Jose Peraza
Bench - C.J. Cron
Bench - Ryan McMahon

P - Zack Greinke (SP)
P - Jacob deGrom (SP)
P - Sean Newcomb (SP)
P - Kenta Maeda (SP)
P - Chris Paddack (SP)
P - Kevin Gausman (SP)
P - Jeremy Jeffress (RP)
P - Collin McHugh (RP)
P - Archie Bradley (RP)
P - Matt Barnes (RP)
Bench - Forrest Whitley (SP)
Bench - Jesus Luzardo (SP)

The only guys I have to give up at the end of the season are Greinke and Bellinger.

I feel like maybe I should have went for a more balanced approach since it is a Roto league and not H2H, rather than going for the big ticket items and then hoping for lottery tickets at the low prices.
KleShreen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First auction draft done-What do I need to improve? (Kee

Postby fast dogs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 pm

The good news is you'll have plenty of cheap options next year to start out with...
Many have used the stars and scrubs method of auction, I can't say paying half your money for 3 players is the right way to go. If this is a 10 team league I'm sure there will be much stronger lineups
Certainly the cardinal sin is having that much left over, as the end game is playing out, you kind of want to look ahead to how many players you have left to bid on and what talent is left.
The more auctions you do, the better you get. You executed the game plan you set out and have some nice pieces for next year. I prefer a more balanced lineup but you need some stars to lean on , just not sure $100 for 2 of them is the right way to go
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Re: First auction draft done-What do I need to improve? (Kee

Postby KleShreen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 pm

fast dogs wrote:The good news is you'll have plenty of cheap options next year to start out with...
Many have used the stars and scrubs method of auction, I can't say paying half your money for 3 players is the right way to go. If this is a 10 team league I'm sure there will be much stronger lineups
Certainly the cardinal sin is having that much left over, as the end game is playing out, you kind of want to look ahead to how many players you have left to bid on and what talent is left.
The more auctions you do, the better you get. You executed the game plan you set out and have some nice pieces for next year. I prefer a more balanced lineup but you need some stars to lean on , just not sure $100 for 2 of them is the right way to go

Thanks for the insight. I agree. I'm ok with McCutchen where I got him because I'm hoping being in that lineup will give him an artificial boost, but I definitely could have done better in the Cesar Hernandez/Jose Peraza area. Could have had much better players at almost 10 dollars higher on each of them, or could have gotten Kluber for 34 instead of deGrom for 49. I think that's what I'll try and do next year is stay more consistent across the board. It was kind of intimidating seeing that I needed to draft 20 players on 220 dollars and knowing I had to average a little over 10 dollars per player, so I felt like I needed to skip anyone who was over their projected/average value at all and it ended up biting me at the end.
KleShreen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team