Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help me try to pick borderline keepers from my list?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Help me try to pick borderline keepers from my list?

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Archer is a K's pitcher only. His ERA and WHIP went up each of the last two seasons. Yes so did his K's but to me he's slightly over valued. Mangers seem to reach for him hoping for that break out season. He puts his team in a hole early. He's lost 31 games the last two seasons because his team couldn't dig out of the hole. Maybe if hes' traded to a team that scores so runs for him that will all change. I'm also NOT and never will be on board for Odor. Too streaky for me.
Of your list I only see 7 I would keep with Cain being a possible 8 .
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 711)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Newkie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am

I have to keep Archer and besides, with his ranking, he has much more trade value than you think. Yes his numbers are up and down as far as ERA and the WHIP is manageable. I do think the Rays are improved and His name has been thrown around in trade talks. So with that said, I guess it comes down to Bruce, Polanco, Mancini and Brantley. Not keeping Cain no matter what. I have enough early picks to snag him if I want to. My biggest need will be grabbing SP’s such as keuchel and Paxton or similar players in the first round.
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 33)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Newkie wrote:I have to keep Archer and besides, with his ranking, he has much more trade value than you think. Yes his numbers are up and down as far as ERA and the WHIP is manageable. I do think the Rays are improved and His name has been thrown around in trade talks. So with that said, I guess it comes down to Bruce, Polanco, Mancini and Brantley. Not keeping Cain no matter what. I have enough early picks to snag him if I want to. My biggest need will be grabbing SP’s such as keuchel and Paxton or similar players in the first round.

TB is in fire sale mode, just dealing Longoria with others including Archer potentially on the block. They are going to complete stinkly in 2018 imo and are not going to be improved. They are outclassed in the AL East and they know it.

As for wasting early picks on the likes of Paxton, just how many points does a guy on the DL earn in your league lol? In his 5 ML seasons, he has never pitched more than 136 IPs. If you think your fantasy season rides on his success, you have some serious pitching issues imo. Paxton is one of those guys that is worth picking on speculation in round 12-15 imo. Anyone paying more than that is just wasting a pick on speculation hoping they get lucky. Sometimes you win doing that but more often than not, a guy that can't stay healthy continues that trend and you end up over reaching.

And as for trade bait wrt Archer, he may have the name, but trading players based on hype with no substance and on a downward trend is easy to say, not so easy to do quite often. It takes two people to make a deal and finding someone willing to pay what you want for the guy who anyone who can read a stat sheet can tell is not all that great is usually not easy. If he has that type of trade value, then why not deal him now before he starts the seaosn and proves he is still the mediocre guy of the past 2 years?
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2682)

Postby Newkie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I am not saying that I am picking Paxton, I am just saying that type of player will be available. Not sure where you get your rankings but SP in the 15-25 range like these guys go in the first few rounds.
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 33)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

1B/OF: Wil Myers ;-D
2B: Dozier ;-D
2B: Odor ;-D
3B: Rendon ;-D
SS: Lindor ;-D
SS: Story ;-D
OF: Polanco ;-D
OF: Ozuna ;-D
OF: Brantley
OF: Bruce
OF: Trey Mancini ;-D
OF: Cain
SP: Archer ;-D

Archer is underrated, because people look at W and ERA
W are the most unpredictive stat.
Archer has been very unlucky the last 2 years in era
Last 3 years, finished top 5 in K's
Last year, career high 11.1 K/9
FIP ERA 3.40
SIERRA ERA 3.44
It means he pitched to a 3.40 era, but many factors, outside a pitchers control, can effect era. (good luck/bad luck).
Things like
BABIP
HR/FB RATIO
STRAND RATE %
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Gmunu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Newkie wrote:I am in a normal 6x6 10 keeper H2H league although its OPS and not BA. If you could help me pick my keepers for next yr. I would appreciate it. There are the obvious ones, but there are some scrubs that will have to suit up for my team. Which ones should I pick, especially keepers 8, 9 and 10.
I won't say who I am leaning towards so I don't pursuade anyones picks.

Thanks in advance

1B/OF: Wil Myers ;-D
2B: Dozier ;-D
2B: Odor :-t meh!
3B: Rendon ;-D
SS: Lindor ;-D
SS: Story :-t 1 good year, 1 bad year, what's next?
OF: Polanco ;-D
OF: Ozuna ;-D
OF: Brantley :-t can't stay healthy
OF: Bruce ;-D
OF: Trey Mancini ;-D
OF: Cain ;-D
SP: Archer ;-D

Thank you again
Gmunu
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 137)