Return to Baseball Leftovers

Advice Needed... adding “Lemon Team” rule to constitution.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice Needed... adding “Lemon Team” rule to constitution.

Postby EAYounger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I’ve been in a few dynasty leagues and I’m starting a new 16 team dynasty league this year. In the past we’ve had managers quit because their teams are terrible and these terrible teams can be very hard to find new managers to take on.

Would it be a terrible idea to make a rule in my constitution stating that if their season record is below a certain mark by the All-Star break they would be required to have/aquire X number of prospects on their team? Perhaps require them to have a certain number of prospects on a reputable top 100 list? The point of this of course would be to encourage terrible teams to look to the future rather than exercise futility with the horrible rosters they have...Thoughts?

BTW it’s a 16 man H2H (1 win) $30 Leaguesafe..... interested LMK.
EAYounger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice Needed... adding “Lemon Team” rule to constitutio

Postby ayebatter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I would hope that anyone joining your league would have the brains to do this on their own without having a set rule to force rebuilding. The bigger issue in a dynasty is that teams bail on the season too soon, trade this years stars to the top 3 teams for next years star? and make the current season a three team race in April.

Good Luck :*)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby EAYounger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

That’s true! Some teams do tend to give up too early in a season...

Ok so you are right I do need to “trust” my managers a bit more. I guess I’ve just been a little scared by being in dynasty leagues with too many people that don’t know what they are doing. Ok man thanks for the feeback!
EAYounger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 am

The problem is once managers "quit" I'm not sure they are going to want to be adding prospects if they have basically stopped playing. You are right, teams leaving awful rosters are the bane of keeper/dynasty leagues. What we have done is allowed draft pick trading and giving the bottom teams the early picks in the 1st 4 rounds. In a dynasty league maybe thats tougher if there isn't enough in the draft to allow the deeper teams to give up talent to move up in the draft and maybe they won't give up enough to help the abandoned teams.I like the idea of trying to keep the leagues competitive, I'm just not sure forcing teams to have to do something is going to be the right thing
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 416)

Postby EAYounger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

The top draft spots will be given to the teams with the worst records. But you may be right about forcing a managers hand and the consequences involved. Thanks fast dogs!
EAYounger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers