Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Question: Dee Gordon or AJ Pollock? ALL HELP RETURNED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Keeper Question: Dee Gordon or AJ Pollock? ALL HELP RETU

Postby Surfs up » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:41 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Pollack. Simply the better all-round fantasy player and there are no concerns about how much he falls being off the PEDs.

I agree. Plus I don't fall into that position thing trap. I try to get the best players period .
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 711)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby birdbrains » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:25 pm

i like Gordon....Pollock i believe is better but he has disatorous injury history so I would go with Dee

pls look at mine
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=494726
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 146)

Postby cdrift24 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:45 pm

If you are in a 5 OF league, it's hard to deny the upside of Pollack... He is a 5 tool fantasy player when healthy. Gordon will almost single handedly win you the SB category but other than AVG he is pretty limited. Go with Pollack.
cdrift24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 56)

Postby mailman32_us » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:22 pm

I like pollack and his overall game. I'm not worried about Gordon's SB, but other things could regress after the suspension.

Mine:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=494748
mailman32_us
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 19)

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:23 pm

pollock's the all-around-better-player, but he's coming back from a major injury that 90%+ likely wipes out a whole season. dee gordon is simply coming back from a suspension (and from there you might wonder how much of his batting champion stuff was aided by the juice)

that said, many of us can remember when hitting .250 was seemingly a mountain for dee to climb. he always had SB on lock but "stealing first" was the toughest thing for him to do. from there it was kinda amazing to see him lead the NL in batting in 2015, but outside of some kind of a regression to the mean (which we had kinda seen this year b4 the whole steroids suspension) if that BA goes down those R/SB go down and that's pretty much all of his value.

in a vacuum pollock is the better player, it's just a matter of whether or not you think that coming back from a season-destroying injury is riskier than coming back from a long suspension for steroids. dee gordon is pretty much SB/AVG/R in that order and you know you're going to take a bath on HR/RBI and pollock was like ~.310/19/78/38 or something last year b4 the injury this year. not to mention dee gordon is a 2B and pollock is a OF so there's some positional scarcity/value there too.

personally, depending on how the rest of my team looked, i'd be more likely to try and hold on to pollock long/er term because he's simply the better player.... but i'd do this acknowledging the risk of there being more chance of production drop coming back from a serious injury as opposed to coming back from steroids/suspension. b4 his suspension this year it's not like dee gordon was doing what he did last year or even improving on it... there was regression to the mean. and now since we found out he evidently needed steroids to do that, yeah, he's probably going to be a .250-.275 hitter and thus he'll still get 30-40+ SB if he plays a full season and likely a solid # of runs, but i think that the potential reward of pollock coming back and being a 5 tool player = i'd risk post-injury-complications coming back from a major injury to try and hold on to the 5 tool player, even if he's an outfielder whilst dee is a 2B.

that said, be sure to watch dee when he comes back this year and see what he does until the end of the year to help you gauge this.... but i mean, if you didn't keep dee this year and ended up taking someone like, say, schoop in the draft for your 2B you might not have all the SB but you'd have better overall production. and since i don't think dee's going to be a .320+ hitter year-in/year-out from here on out, i'd most likely wanna take on the risk to have the reward of a potential 5-tool-player who was as high as top-5/10 last year. especially in that hitter's ballpark / usually-pretty-good-lineup.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions