Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pet Peaves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pet Peaves

Postby Garvey6 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Feel free to add whatever irks you to my list:

1. Closers pitching in non-save situations. I might use my free time to compare the ERA's of closers in save and in non-save situations. I'm convinced their combined ERA in the latter is about 6 1/2

2. Staying with closers, I hate when their team scores too many runs in their last at-bat and keeps them from a save opportunity -- unless I don't have that closer on my team, of course ;-)

3. Here's a proposed stats change for MLB: If a starting pitcher hurls a quality start (6 IP, 3 ER or less) and exits the game with a lead, he's eligible for the win no matter what -- even if the game is decided in extra innings. It bugs me when my starter exits a 2-1 game in the 8th inning and the reliever comes in, blows the game, and then gets credit for the win if their team comes back.

Any more pet peaves???
Garvey6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pet Peaves

Postby eatyun » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Stupid trade offers, It makes me not want to deal with that person ever. (Literally this year I got offered Marco Estrada and Jeremy Hazelbaker for My Matt Harvey and Matt Moore)
eatyun
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1703)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Garvey6 wrote:3. Here's a proposed stats change for MLB: If a starting pitcher hurls a quality start (6 IP, 3 ER or less) and exits the game with a lead, he's eligible for the win no matter what -- even if the game is decided in extra innings. It bugs me when my starter exits a 2-1 game in the 8th inning and the reliever comes in, blows the game, and then gets credit for the win if their team comes back.

Any more pet peaves???

Just don't give the win to anyone but the starting pitcher. It's a fairly useless stat with modern bullpens anyways.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby fantasycafe101 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 pm

People who can't spell 'pet peeve'. Lol.
fantasycafe101
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Garvey6 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:54 am

fantasycafe101 wrote:People who can't spell 'pet peeve'. Lol.

Dang...and I consider myself a very good speller, too hahaha. I'll delete tweets if I find I made a mistake, even by accident. Nice catch ;-D

And on the topic of bad trade offers, last week in my AL-only dynasty league, I got offered $12 Buchholz for $5 McCullers 8-o
Garvey6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Garvey6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 pm

I'll add another one since Melancon just benefited from it. A closer who comes in with a 4-run lead and two outs and one on gets a weak-ass save :-t
Garvey6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Surfs up » Sat May 07, 2016 7:28 am

I don't like intentional walks being charged against the pitcher.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 645)

Postby ayebatter » Sun May 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Surfs up wrote:I don't like intentional walks being charged against the pitcher.

More than likely he put himself in that position so ya he probably deserved it.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 745)

Postby Surfs up » Tue May 10, 2016 10:19 am

Not really. Runners on second and third with nobody or one out . Tough hitter up . Create a force play by walking the hitter. The pitcher could be coming in to put out the fire and those runners aren't his. Even if they are could have been an error or a close play on a double play that created the situation. Still when a manager elects NOT to pitch to a hitter its not always the pitchers fault why .
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 645)

Postby ayebatter » Tue May 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Surfs up wrote:Not really. Runners on second and third with nobody or one out . Tough hitter up . Create a force play by walking the hitter.

Did not the pitcher create this problem ?

The pitcher could be coming in to put out the fire and those runners aren't his.

Doubt very much that that the arm coming in tosses the intentional.

Still when a manager elects NOT to pitch to a hitter its not always the pitchers fault why .

But usually is the pitchers fault

So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 745)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers