Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Jeanmar Gomez for Nick Markakis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Jeanmar Gomez for Nick Markakis?

Postby Manny-Phesto » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Trade away Jeanmar Gomez for Nick Markakis? (Points League)

Gomez is currently my 5th RP so he rides pine because we start 4 RP's.

My OF is as follows (start 5):

Mookie Betts
Giancarlo Stanton
George Springer
Gerardo Parra
Michael Saunders
Michael Brantley (DL)
Charlie Blackmon (DL)

Will Gomez inevitably lose the role? Is Markakis worth it to sell Gomez while he has some value? Markakis is a pretty good points league player, doubles power, doesn't K a lot... And a chance he gets traded to a contender like the royals..
Manny-Phesto
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Jeanmar Gomez for Nick Markakis?

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm

Markakis is virtually worthless in almost all formats and has been that way for some time. Hollow numbers. I would not trade a bag of rocks for him, but that is me.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2660)

Postby Manny-Phesto » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks for your input SAM. I also think vanilla when I think Nick Markakis. But looking at his game, for my points league anyway, he was the 19th OF in 2014. And so far this year he is the 8th best scoring OF (granted its a small sample size).. I don't play in any other types of leagues, but for points leagues he seems to be quite valuable to me.
Manny-Phesto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:38 am

Manny-Phesto wrote:Thanks for your input SAM. I also think vanilla when I think Nick Markakis. But looking at his game, for my points league anyway, he was the 19th OF in 2014. And so far this year he is the 8th best scoring OF (granted its a small sample size).. I don't play in any other types of leagues, but for points leagues he seems to be quite valuable to me.

That would be a fucntion of your leagues point model. Maybe it rewerds avg too highly? Man offers a 740ish OPS, 375ish slugging, with a 290 avg and 70 someodd runs scored. Does not walk a lot. Does not k a lot either. Not seeing how your scoring model can possibly make him a top OF under any reasonable points system. No pop...no rbi production...does not get a lot of xtra base hits...does not steal...does not have a particularly high OBP. In other words, he hits for a decent avg and that is about it.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Manny-Phesto » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:42 am

SAM. Thank you again for your detailed response. I do appreciate it. I believe the scoring format for my points league is relatively standard. As I've come to understand it better throughout the years, the highest scoring players are usually players who have good K:BB ratios, and players with doubles pop. You do not need to hit HR's to score a lot of points in this format (although they certainly help). I've included the scoring format below for your reference.

H2H Points league, 12 teams, keep 15 keepers as long as you want, salary goes up only $1 every year. $130 total budget.

Walk=1
Intentional Walk=2
Single=1
Double=2
Triple=3
HR=4
RBI=1
Run=1
SB=2
CS= -1
Strikeout= -1
Error= -1

Inning Pitched= 1
Strikeout= 1
ER= -1
Win= 7
Loss= -3
Save=5
Hold=3
Shutout= 10
Manny-Phesto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tnbrave » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Markakis actually has some value in my league because of his walks and OBP, doesn't strike out a lot. Yeah, his team is not good. But I would rather have him over a 5th RP.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=494341
tnbrave
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1254)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Manny-Phesto wrote:SAM. Thank you again for your detailed response. I do appreciate it. I believe the scoring format for my points league is relatively standard. As I've come to understand it better throughout the years, the highest scoring players are usually players who have good K:BB ratios, and players with doubles pop. You do not need to hit HR's to score a lot of points in this format (although they certainly help). I've included the scoring format below for your reference.

H2H Points league, 12 teams, keep 15 keepers as long as you want, salary goes up only $1 every year. $130 total budget.

Walk=1
Intentional Walk=2
Single=1
Double=2
Triple=3
HR=4
RBI=1
Run=1
SB=2
CS= -1
Strikeout= -1
Error= -1

Inning Pitched= 1
Strikeout= 1
ER= -1
Win= 7
Loss= -3
Save=5
Hold=3
Shutout= 10

Not seeing how he rack up points to the level where he is a top 19 OF then in your league. He has no extra base hit ability of note (see slugging pct) and it is not like he draws 100+ walks a season. Granted he does not K a ton which helps, but to the level of an elite OF?...not seeing it.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Manny-Phesto » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:03 pm

I never said he was elite. But he was the 19th scoring OF in 2014 in my league, and (coincidentally) he is the 19th scoring OF so far this year also. So it seems that at the very least, for a points league, he is a good bench OF to roster. He had 38 doubles last year, I'd say that's pretty ample extra base pop. Anyway it surprised me too, but for a points league he's a good under the radar OF option in my opinion.
Manny-Phesto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eatyun » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Manny-Phesto wrote:I never said he was elite. But he was the 19th scoring OF in 2014 in my league, and (coincidentally) he is the 19th scoring OF so far this year also. So it seems that at the very least, for a points league, he is a good bench OF to roster. He had 38 doubles last year, I'd say that's pretty ample extra base pop. Anyway it surprised me too, but for a points league he's a good under the radar OF option in my opinion.

I have no problem trading Gomez for him, Markakis was always alittle underrated imo. Not that hes super great, but hes a decent guy who will hit for average, he seems to have alittle more pop this year as hes farther removed from his injury. I would do it.
eatyun
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1703)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions