Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy with Huge Pick Depth in a Keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy with Huge Pick Depth in a Keeper?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:47 pm

As picks are typically the easiest currency to deal in our keeper league I've managed to amass a huge surplus of picks for our 2016 draft. This is a 14 team h2h keeper league with k/9 instead of k's. Other than that pretty standard Yahoo fare. We keep 6 players each year and probably my top options at this point are Starling Marte, Joc Pederson, Jose Fernandez, and Sonny Gray. After that I've got lots of possible options but it will depend how the rest of the year plays out, including guys like Travis d'Arnaud, Yasmani Grandal, Eric Hosmer, D.J. LeMahieu, Devon Travis, Maikel Franco, Christian Yelich, Jason Heyward, and Jason Hammel.

Anyways, I knew I was rebuilding this year from day 1 and as such have been able to stock up on my 2016 draft in a big way. I've picked up 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 3 fourths, 2 fifths, 2 sixths, 1 seventh, and 1 eighth round pick in our 15 round draft. I've also got a great farm team of Touki Toussaint, Manuel Margot, Braden Shipley, Tim Anderson, Kohl Stewart, Corey Seager, and Micah Johnson (who I get to keep for next year even if he goes over 130ab/50ip).

My question isn't necessarily for the time being - I plan on continuing to move assets that I feel are non-keepers or long-shot keepers to amass more picks. My question is for next year before the draft. I'll definitely leverage that draft to upgrade my keepers wherever possible. Starling Marte and Jason Heyward both were bought for a 4th round pick so I could keep them coming into this year. Clearly Heyward hasn't worked out for me as well as Marte but when other owners are stacked good keeper options can be bought on the cheap - especially for guys like Heyward and Marte both that hadn't broken out yet. I'll try to do that again.

Once I've exhausted any options to upgrade my keepers though I fully expect to have a glut of picks left. I wouldn't be surprised if the picks I listed above are what I go into the 2016 draft with barring any other trades. So my question is this - how much of that would you be willing to invest in a single season? How much would you look to move to the following year? Clearly I'd have the best team 'on paper' if I kept all the picks but that's a lot of eggs in the basket of a single season based on pre-season projections. No right or wrong answers here - just curious how much risk owners would be willing to put on that single draft versus how much they'd look to move some picks to future seasons.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers