Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Wacha?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's up with Wacha?

Postby eatyun » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 pm

He's pitched 33 innings and he only has 18 strikeouts, his ERA and WHIP are great, can't figure out why he's not striking people out, is it a fluke or something I should worry about?
eatyun
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1703)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's up with Wacha?

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Seems to be pitching to more contact, inducing more ground balls. Still has the good command. Bottom line he's not a front line starter. Mid-3 ERA and I'm trying go sell him if I've got him right now. Even if he gets his K9 back up to 7, there's no way he carries an elite ERA.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Re: What's up with Wacha?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 12, 2015 9:51 am

bigh0rt wrote:Seems to be pitching to more contact, inducing more ground balls. Still has the good command. Bottom line he's not a front line starter. Mid-3 ERA and I'm trying go sell him if I've got him right now. Even if he gets his K9 back up to 7, there's no way he carries an elite ERA.

I've never read this anywhere but it seems like St. Louis is one of those organizations that preach the 'pitch-to-contact' mantra. If you look at their pitchers it's all low-bb/9, high-gb/fb ratio guys. Some are better than others at it but it seems to be an organizational focus. Adam Wainwright showed that you could be a fantasy ace and still work that low-bb/9, high-gb/fb ratio but it's a tough line to skate. Unless you have a higher than average k/9 rate the higher BABIP on ground balls eats up your gains from the low-bb/9 which makes your whip a break-even proposition versus an average bb/9 pitcher. The high-gb/fb ratio does help in reducing hr/9 but some recent studies have shown that when a fly ball hitter faces a ground ball pitcher the hitter wins. That means that while you might hold down your Christian Yelich's and Eric Hosmer's of the world, guys with tilt to their swing are still going to get theirs against you.

I think the St. Louis recipe is a great one for real baseball. You fill the zone, get quicker innings, save pitches on your arm, and avoid big, walk-fueled innings while mitigating home run damage somewhat. It doesn't play quite as well for fantasy owners.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Return to Baseball Leftovers