Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Real is Stephen Vogt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Real is Stephen Vogt?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 am

Curious about people's opinions on this. I've watched him every chance I've gotten and this doesn't look like your typical April barrage flash in the pan. The guy has a crazy good approach, is walking more than he strikes out, takes great swings at the ball and when he hits it, out or not, he hits it really hard. He's a catcher and catchers tend to develop more slowly. Clearly he's already older than prime from a physical standpoint (31) but could we be seeing the birth of a 2-3 year top catcher in fantasy right now? All regression arguments aside even if he gives back a lot of his production his approach looks like a .290/20 guy at the plate.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Real is Stephen Vogt?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 05, 2015 11:54 am

He's a guy I'd love to have be my Catcher in any size league this season. Some things I've read have attributed the slow path to the majors on him learning the art of Catching, compared to having to stay down to fine tune hitting approach, etc. as is the case with others who take longer to get to the big show. I think he's a legitimate hitter, with good pop, and a great approach vs RHP at the very least, and he's been good enough to work himself out of his early platoon. If I had both he and another C, odds are I'd be trying to move the other C (and I am in a league where I have both he and Russell Martin).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

I've got him and d'Arnaud both in one keep 6 players league...actually trying to deal them both though because I'm rebuilding right now and think I can get a nice haul out of them but honestly could see Vogt playing his way into the discussion as a top-84 player with that bat at catcher. It's just funny...we always stress how important it is to ignore the fast starts but sometimes those fast starts both have a reason and are real. And yeah, that's what I'd seen too about his development - it's a big part of why he spent so much time at other spots on the diamond and snagged 1B and OF eligibility in Yahoo - the bat played but he was still becoming a legit catcher. I question too how much his hitting issues (ie he was good but not great) in previous seasons was just focusing on the catching and working his butt off there to get where he needed to be and now he's relaxed and just doing his thing at and behind the plate.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JGuilbault11 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:39 pm

He is the real deal. Vogt got overlooked last season with Norris and Jaso in Oakland all sharing duties. He hit .291 in 231 AB off right-handed pitching. Obviously he is crushing this year, I am a big fan of his. Not a strikeout guy, works the count, typical Oakland guy too.
Twitter: @JGuilbault11
JGuilbault11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 653)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:28 pm

I don't love him as much as you guys do. I'm also not sure he has worked himself out of a platoon. He has a total of 14 PA's against LHP this year. That sounds like a platoon player. But he should be productive as a catcher that was nearly free in the draft.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 06, 2015 9:47 am

kab21 wrote:I don't love him as much as you guys do. I'm also not sure he has worked himself out of a platoon. He has a total of 14 PA's against LHP this year. That sounds like a platoon player. But he should be productive as a catcher that was nearly free in the draft.

I agree with you on the platoon thing. Most of those PA's have come because they don't remove him against lefties. That said, he is a catcher and getting days off against lefties is no different than getting days off 'just because' to stay fresh. I don't mind a catcher in a platoon - in fact, it can be a plus when you know exactly which days he's going to play and which ones he'll get off rather than having to guess when he'll get rest.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:08 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
kab21 wrote:I don't love him as much as you guys do. I'm also not sure he has worked himself out of a platoon. He has a total of 14 PA's against LHP this year. That sounds like a platoon player. But he should be productive as a catcher that was nearly free in the draft.

I agree with you on the platoon thing. Most of those PA's have come because they don't remove him against lefties. That said, he is a catcher and getting days off against lefties is no different than getting days off 'just because' to stay fresh. I don't mind a catcher in a platoon - in fact, it can be a plus when you know exactly which days he's going to play and which ones he'll get off rather than having to guess when he'll get rest.

I had norris and Jaso last year and they were awesome. This Vogt will be awesome although I'm guessing that he only gets 450 PA's. Still it's nice to have a catcher (for free) that won't kill you in average and hit some HR's.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 am

Stephen Vogt is definitely a real person. I've never seen him with my own eyes, but have have seen video evidence of his existence on television. Pretty positive Stephen Vogt is real.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 06, 2015 11:57 am

"Hai guyz."
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Stephen Vogt is definitely a real person. I've never seen him with my own eyes, but have have seen video evidence of his existence on television. Pretty positive Stephen Vogt is real.

Lies. All lies. They just want you to believe that. Giant Vogt-spiracy!
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers