Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Taijuan 1 Walker & Heaven Travis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Taijuan 1 Walker & Heaven Travis

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 am

Last night there was a lot of fun and interesting action, both on the real and fantasy diamonds. Lead story was the postponement of the White Sox v. Orioles match up due to the riots in Baltimore. I thought it was an elaborate promo for the reboot of Mad Max in theaters this summer, but I'm told that those were real, American citizens, stabbing holes in fire hoses that were attempting to put out buildings that were set ablaze. I don't believe a make-up date for the game has been announced as of yet.

Jason Hammel's performance actually matched his peripherals last night, as he went 8 scoreless, dominant innings, striking out 7, walking none, and allowing just 4 hits against the Buccaroos. Hammel now sits with a 3.55 ERA and 1.03 WHIP, and that's about what I'd expect out of him, if not an even lower ERA to go along with a K/9 north of 8. I imagine the BB/9 will raise, but if last year was any indication, he's definitely figured out some command issues and should remain stingy with the free passes, which is something I make a major consideration for when rostering Starting Pitchers.

Heaven, whoops, I mean Devon Travis rocketed his 6th HR of the year last night, and that's not the only good news (for him). With Jose Reyes being placed on the DL, Travis is the most likely candidate to move from the 2-hole to the leadoff spot in the rocket fueled Blue Jays lineup (he bat leadoff when Reyes missed a few games a week or two ago). If you've got believers in your league, it's a great opportunity to try and sell, but if trade partners are gun shy (which is likely given Travis' original projections and near non-existant Major League track record), continue to ride this wave as long as possible. Travis boats a .368 AVG, 6 HR, 15 R, 18 RBI, and a Stolen Base for good measure, and while the .380 BABIP will not continue, he should still remain a decent source for middle infield pop and speed (and an A+ source for Runs) even if he comes plummeting back to Earth.

Lastly, Taijuan Walker finally paid some dividends (while firmly seated on most benches and/or Waiver Wires) last night, pitching 7 innings, issueing just a single walk, and allowing no Earned Runs, striking out 5 Rangers in Arlington. Walker showed some flashes in his previous start, fanning 8, but the walks were still an issue. Last night you saw a much more calm, confident, in command Walker, who many drafted with high hopes in 2015, after his dazzling Spring. It may be a bumpy road for Walker, littered with awe inspiring performances as well as complete dude, but there is no denying his talent and ability, and at just 22 years old, he's lightyears ahead of many of his contemporaries for his age. He'll continue to pitch in a pitchers park, and is a great stash in many leagues, with an upside greater than 75% of the rest of your fantasy staff, if not more. His ADP was right around 200, from what I recall, for 2015, but don't be surprised to see that closer to 100 than 200 in 2016, if he's able to continue harnessing his stuff.

Ok, so really lastly this time, A.J. Cole makes his MLB Debut against the Braves today, and Rafael Montero will get a spot start for the Metropolitans. Both worth lending some attention to in your deeper and/or Keeper/Dynasty Leagues.

Today's Match Ups: (pitchers worth paying attention to in Red)

AL

Kansas City Royals at Cleveland Indians, 6:10 pm
(R) Jeremy Guthrie (1-1) vs. (R) Trevor Bauer (2-0)

Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox, 6:10 pm
(R) Drew Hutchison (2-0) vs. (R) Clay Buchholz (1-2)

Chicago White Sox at Baltimore Orioles, 7:05 pm
(R) Jeff Samardzija (1-1) vs. (R) Ubaldo Jimenez (1-1)

Tampa Bay Rays at New York Yankees, 7:05 pm
(R) Jake Odorizzi (2-1) vs. (R) Chase Whitley (0-0)

Seattle Mariners at Texas Rangers, 8:05 pm
(L) J.A. Happ (1-1) vs. (L) Ross Detwiler (0-2)

Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins, 8:10 pm
(R) Anibal Sanchez (1-2) vs. (R) Mike Pelfrey (1-0)

LA Angels of Anaheim at Oakland Athletics, 10:05 pm
(R) Jered Weaver (0-2) vs. (R) Sonny Gray (2-0)

IL

Houston Astros at San Diego Padres, 10:10 pm
(R) Roberto Hernandez (0-2) vs. (R) Tyson Ross (1-1)

NL

Washington Nationals at Atlanta Braves, 7:10 pm
(R) A.J. Cole (0-0) vs. (R) Julio Teheran (2-1)

New York Mets at Miami Marlins, 7:10 pm
(R) Rafael Montero (0-1) vs. (R) David Phelps (1-0)

Milwaukee Brewers at Cincinnati Reds, 7:10 pm
(R) Kyle Lohse (1-3) vs. (R) Johnny Cueto (1-2)

Pittsburgh Pirates at Chicago Cubs, 8:05 pm
(L) Jeff Locke (2-0) vs. (L) Travis Wood (1-1)

Philadelphia Phillies at St. Louis Cardinals, 8:15 pm
(R) Severino Gonzalez (0-0) vs. (R) Michael Wacha (3-0)

Colorado Rockies at Arizona Diamondbacks, 9:40 pm
(R) Kyle Kendrick (1-2) vs. (R) Archie Bradley (2-0)

San Francisco Giants at Los Angeles Dodgers, 10:10 pm
(L) Madison Bumgarner (1-1) vs. (L) Clayton Kershaw (1-1)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Taijuan 1 Walker & Heaven Trav

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 am

Is Chase Anderson taking over the Brandon McCarthy role of having great peripherals, while at the same time killing his fantasy owners, but keeping them hanging on by a thread due to the aforementioned great peripherals?? Gotta give him a pass vs COL, even not in Coors. Next start is @LAD, which is far from ideal as well. May be a sit and see with him until Week 5. He's slated to face Kershaw, I believe.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Me and my 4-9-3 record are making the call today - Michael Wacha with 7+ innings, 3 or less runs, 6 or more k's. Book it!

And pick #2 - Devon Travis gets on base multiple times AND bangs a ball off the monster. :)
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Is Chase Anderson taking over the Brandon McCarthy role of having great peripherals, while at the same time killing his fantasy owners, but keeping them hanging on by a thread due to the aforementioned great peripherals?? Gotta give him a pass vs COL, even not in Coors. Next start is @LAD, which is far from ideal as well. May be a sit and see with him until Week 5. He's slated to face Kershaw, I believe.

Before either of them it was Javier Vazquez, always promising that extra level of production due to great peripherals and never completely delivering. !+)
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:37 pm

And Ricky Nolasco in between Vazquez and McCarthy.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:54 pm

kab21 wrote:And Ricky Nolasco in between Vazquez and McCarthy.

I feel like mweir was always slinging that about Morrow, as well, along with the strength of schedule bit.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Justin Turner batting 3rd for the Dodgers tonight, because Mattingly. Even with some regulars out and hurt, I need ayebatter's feedback on this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:18 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Me and my 4-9-3 record are making the call today - Michael Wacha with 7+ innings, 3 or less runs, 6 or more k's. Book it!

And pick #2 - Devon Travis gets on base multiple times AND bangs a ball off the monster. :)

We'll call this 4-10-4 now. I was wrong/wrong/wrong on Wacha but Travis did get on base multiple times, albeit in a 1/5 performance with a single and a walk.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers