Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/23 Cheering, Venting, & Devon Travis Swagaholic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/23 Cheering, Venting, & Devon Travis Swagaholic

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 am

All your stats are belong to Devon Travis. Starts the year batting 8th? No problem. Hit in the ribs and forced to miss a game? No problem. Jose Reyes back to batting leadoff? No problem. The guy is straight crushing fantasy baseball right now to the tune of .388, 10 R, 4 HR, 14 RBI, 1 SB. Everything I've read, and continue to read, about Travis suggests he's a 15/15 type of guy, but right now he's slotted into the 2-hole of a very potent offense, which could give him ample opportunity to build those counting stats, and as a result, his fantasy value. He's doing this on the heels of a .388 BABIP (almost 100 points higher than he had in 441 AA PA in 2014), with an ISO essentially double what one might expect from him, but this is a wave worth riding as long as possible. He's a guy who hasn't produced long enough to get real trade value in return, but if you can swap him for another upside guy you like and feel more confident in producing, he could be a great potential trade piece right now; or as an add-in. Just know that you could end up being burned if he approaches 20/20 from a Middle Infield slot.

At the Cafe, don't forget to check out Jason Guilbault's AL Waiver Wire 4/22 piece. With that, we're on to today's match ups. Pitchers worth noting are in red.

Today's Match Ups:

AL

New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers, 1:08 pm
(R) Masahiro Tanaka (2-1) vs. (R) Anibal Sanchez (1-2)

Oakland Athletics at LA Angels of Anaheim, 7:05 pm
(R) Jesse Chavez (0-0) vs. (L) C.J. Wilson (1-2)

Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays, 7:07 pm
(R) Chris Tillman (2-1) vs. (R) Drew Hutchison (1-0)

Boston Red Sox at Tampa Bay Rays, 7:10 pm
(R) Clay Buchholz (1-2) vs. (R) Jake Odorizzi (2-1)

Kansas City Royals at Chicago White Sox, 8:10 pm
(R) Yordano Ventura (2-1) vs. (L) Chris Sale (2-0)

NL

Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates, 12:35 pm
(R) Kyle Hendricks (0-0) vs. (L) Jeff Locke (2-0)

Miami Marlins at Philadelphia Phillies, 1:05 pm
(R) David Phelps (0-0) vs. (R) Dustin McGowan (1-0)

Atlanta Braves at New York Mets, 1:10 pm
(R) Julio Teheran (2-0) vs. (R) Bartolo Colon (3-0)

Cincinnati Reds at Milwaukee Brewers, 1:40 pm
(R) Homer Bailey (0-1) vs. (R) Kyle Lohse (0-3)

San Diego Padres at Colorado Rockies, 3:10 pm
(R) Tyson Ross (1-0) vs. (R) Jordan Lyles (1-1)

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants, 3:45 pm
() TBA TBA (0-0) vs. () TBA TBA (0-0)

St. Louis Cardinals at Washington Nationals, 4:05 pm
(R) Michael Wacha (2-0) vs. (R) Max Scherzer (1-1)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/23 Cheering, Venting, & Devon Travis Swagaholic

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 am

I'm on the verge of being 0 - 3 in my main H2H Points League, and I still can't even figure out how. I mean, I can I guess. My pitching has underperformed on the back end. Just early season jitters for some, I hope, but I've parted ways with Matt Shoemaker for the time being, at the very least. Going to let Taijuan Walker sit on my bench another few passes before cutting ties; same with Pomeranz. For my other Hammel owners; be patient, bluer skies should hopefully be on the horizon. Guy has walked just 1 batter through 3 starts, to 16 K in 17.1 IP. Small sample size and all that, but he's got a 3.30 xFIP, 8.31 K/9, and 0.52 BB/9. I'm hoping for a replication of his performance while with the Cubs in 2014, adjusting for some BABIP correction. Mid-3 ERA, good WHIP, good enough K/9. Should be excellent value for where you got him (I'm really trying to talk myself into this here...)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Getting on here late but I'm bringing my 4-8-3 record to give you my stone cold lock of the rest of the day. Vogelsong gets shelled by the Dodgers AND Joc Pederson goes yard. Yep, calling the dingers now too. You can bet on it (but only if you're Jarred Cosart).
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm on the verge of being 0 - 3 in my main H2H Points League, and I still can't even figure out how. I mean, I can I guess. My pitching has underperformed on the back end. Just early season jitters for some, I hope, but I've parted ways with Matt Shoemaker for the time being, at the very least. Going to let Taijuan Walker sit on my bench another few passes before cutting ties; same with Pomeranz. For my other Hammel owners; be patient, bluer skies should hopefully be on the horizon. Guy has walked just 1 batter through 3 starts, to 16 K in 17.1 IP. Small sample size and all that, but he's got a 3.30 xFIP, 8.31 K/9, and 0.52 BB/9. I'm hoping for a replication of his performance while with the Cubs in 2014, adjusting for some BABIP correction. Mid-3 ERA, good WHIP, good enough K/9. Should be excellent value for where you got him (I'm really trying to talk myself into this here...)

I watched Taijuan's last start against Houston. While the control still came and went through the start his stuff looked great and the body language/facial expressions some pundits had mentioned ("he looked like a deer in the headlights") was nowhere to be seen. He looked like a pitcher who knew exactly what he wanted to do and was close to untouchable when he executed his pitches. He was flashing a 98mph 4-seamer that he was running up in the zone against a swing-happy Astros team and rode that to 8k's in 5.1ip. I'd play the matchups with him because a patient team might be able to take advantage of the come-and-go command but I definitely wouldn't cut ties with him.

You're 100% right on Hammel. Sometimes matchups and just plain bad luck conspire to hurt a pitcher's stats even though they're pitching well. That's Hammel right now.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Anyone watch the Tanaka start? I was afraid to run him out there today against that Tigers lineup but the results looked great. Did he look back on track on the mound?
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Anyone watch the Tanaka start? I was afraid to run him out there today against that Tigers lineup but the results looked great. Did he look back on track on the mound?

According to my Yankee fan compadres, he looked fantastic. Restored a lot of confidence in him, to them, today.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Great to hear. I went out of my way to pick him up in a keeper league this year with the intention of trying to flip him later in the year to upgrade my team for 2016, figuring he was probably the best guy out there for putting up crazy good numbers over a short time frame. Those early-season struggles derailed that plan a bit.
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eatyun » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Wacha has beat Cueto twice and Scherzer once, 3-0 record, has not given up more then one run in any start. I am glad I have so many shares in him :-)
eatyun
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1703)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Scherzer sitting at 1 - 2 with a 1.27 ERA and 0.85 WHIP, and over a K an inning. I still think he can challenge a sub-2 ERA in the NL East. I like Wacha quite a bit, though. Consistent and above average.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:11 pm

SWEEP
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers